Garage doors.. openers.. Jaguar stables

Most of us probably have a garage or place for our cars and I was wondering what types of doors and openers some of you have… I installed tons of doors years ago… one that I have is a Wayne Dalton i-drive which turns the torsion bar direct… no motor box in center of ceiling… another I like but don’t have one is the motor on the side type… does anyone have airplane hanger type doors that fold. or a side slider.

I have an old Craftsman door opener system on two of my garages, with the motor on the ceiling, using the chain drive - still working for now, but dreading the cost of an upgrade when they quit - Tex.

My two arms in my case/ Door is formed of aluminum panes that roll in a track from vertical to horizontal A squirt of a light poil from time to time redues the roller friction

My new neighbor’s business is garage doors!!

Carl. .

Yep Carl - my other two doors are the hand lift type also - the two stalls for the everyday car usage have the motors - Tex.

A friend of mine has a Cessna in his garage. There are two garage doors. To get the airplane out, you open both garage doors, then the column with the tracks between the two doors is disconnected from the floor and swings up against the ceiling. That leaves a great big opening for the airplane to pass through. If I hadn’t seen it myself, I would never have believed anyone would come up with such a scheme.

I’ve seen something similar in a garage place : they roll up 2 doors, then remove the central vertical guide
but I doubt a cesna would get in there :grin:

Sure must be a stout beam as the header over that opening.

another Rube Goldberg idea… just install a bigger door… although I have never liked wide doors because they really need a stronger header than most builders install

About twenty years ago a work-friend had an old garage door opener he wanted to replace. I took it off his hands and installed it to open an overhead trap door leading to my attic. (The attic has a flight of stairs.) The opener has a curious plastic looking track that acts like a chain. It took some engineering using cable and pulleys to change the horizontal motion to open the vertical door, but it still works!

I’m with Tex and Carl - manual opener currently.

I came across some pictures of this garage when I was browsing local real estate listings, way out of my price range.

Why put in a door when the whole wall opens?

1 Like

I rented a place with a pole barn like that. The doors slide out instead of up, but similar idea of peeling away the wall. It was glorious in good weather to be almost outside, yet have all your tools at hand. Now I’m in a dairy barn and the feeling is not nearly as grand.

1 Like