Garage exhaust system?

One side of my tool chest has about 20 of those stuck there. One or two in each car and one stuck on one of the breaker panel doors in the big garage.

I miss the HF free stuff coupons.

2 Likes

Bit concerned bob will need stilts to reach his plug in ceiling for a plug in lamp🤪

Cat flaps perhaps ?..

1 Like

Don’t they have those retractable air hoses and electrical lines that are ceiling mounted?

Not for electrical usually because of the induction effect of a coil of wire and the risk of fire ……I just have mine hanging on a chain about 6.6 feet off the floor …. So I don’t hit my head

Sure, that’d work, too.

Yes. Under the counter where my sink is above is a retractable hose reel (blue hose). It can easily be mounted on the ceiling. A very similar one is made for air. Mine is from Griots, but there are other brands.

Sigh. :grin: I guess I should have been more explicit. They make it easy to add a 4’ plug in shop light with a chain pull hanging down to turn it on and off.

I’ve got two reel type drop lights on the 10’ ceiling in the big garage. One between each of the two cars.

Danny,
We have them here. I’ve never had any issues with a 25’ retractable reel from the ceiling nor any of my mechanic friends.

1 Like

The most used outlet in the garage!

2 Likes

I’ve converted to a 24 inch LED battery operated light. No cord, more light, easier to place and use.

Unless you’re using it to provide power to a 50kW plasma cutter, there is no problem at all with an extension cord reel. We’re presumably talking about normal 120V, 15-20A service here…

1 Like

Even with your 240V, I cannot see this as any hazard.

This kind of setup in Australia would be deemed unsafe…… I’ve never really explored it fully to totally understand the physics of it ……

First, the induced field can’t be very strong as the number of windings is quite small. Second, what is the field going to at upon? The spring inside it’s diameter? It’s not a magnet. So when you say it is deemed unsafe, what is the logic? What do they expect will happen?

My understanding is it has nothing to do with inductive heating. The issue is many people use undersized extension cords and overload them with more amps than they’re rated for, which makes the cables heat up under use. If it is just a cable laid out, it doesn’t create too much of a hazard, but when all coiled into a extension real the heat is concentrated and doesn’t have air circulating to cool it off, and there are cases where the insulation has melted, causing a fire hazard by itself or shorting conductors which causes a different hazard.

Ah maybe that’s the reason ….I might have been mis informed about the induction…. Your explanation sounds more feasible

One of them doesn’t even have a built in receptacle, and I hardly ever use the receptacle in the other one. Too unhandy to move the light around with something plugged into it.

Mine is a triple receptacle, no light. I use it constantly for the vacuum cleaner, angle grinder, polisher, etc. so I can freely move around the car. I use battery powered lights for tasks. Especially like the harbor freight braun led 390 Lumen Magnetic Slim Bar Folding Work Light (harborfreight.com)