Gas smell in Engine compartment

Cannot trace a gasoline smell in engine compartment of 61 Mk 11. Appears no leaks that I can find. Would the AED cause this ?

If you have the barrell shaped ASC (Auxiliary Starting Carb), there should be a triangular metal shield adjacent to it. If you remove this, you will see 2 drillings.

If you look down these drilled wells with a torch, you will see raw gasoline at all times.

You will be able to smell fuel. These drillings are exposed to engine bay air.

The shield is there to prevent backfires erupting fuel like a volcano (under the wrong conditions)

That is one of the main reasons I replaced my HD8s with manual choke HS8

Please, not a lighted torch, but an electric flashlight. LOL, three countries separated by a common language.

1 Like

Can be tricky, it doesn’t take much…

On an unrelated note, always was nostalgic about these old jaguar smells, particularly interior.

Always thought it impossible to duplicate.

Recently left an empty gas can and chainsaw within older suv w leather seats.
Got in and thought, holy smokes, all these years the magical “old Jaguar smell” was only gas, oil, and leather combo?
Became a bit saddened by that. LoL

Made me wonder what gas leaks i had and never addressed!

Good points made here. Are you experiencing this while driving, at idle or after shut down? A fuel pump shut off switch can help some overflowing issues. Vitron floats might help, your floats cold be flooded? I like the manual choke idea and would love to see pictures of how Tony installed the chock lever.

Gerard
Loveland, Colorado USA