Gas tank leak XK140

Well (not really)…after introducing myself and my XK I already need help; after parking the car (after the second run ever), I noticed a small drop coming from the gas tank where indicated by the arrow…it seems no hole right there but the drop is always in the same place, it’s really small …if I put a piece of paper A4 it becomes wet after many hours.

How can I solve this issue?

Can I use the car or it can be dangerous?

Many thanks in advance

Ciao Dante!

sorry to read about your first disappointment, it looks like your tank was just painted over and not treated inside. If it’s only a drop every now and then I would still drive it (rather than have it towed away), but it’s something to keep an eye on and to fix sooner rather than later - would it only be for the smell when you park it in a closed area. Unfortunately the fix will require emptying the tank, it is most likely rusting from the inside when water sits at the bottom (you may also want to check your fuel filter for flakes of rust, and make sure they won’t clog the filter, or the carbs jets). A “quick fix” would be cleaning and grinding the area next to the pinhole and cover it with a patch of fiberglass that woud grab on strong metal, that maybe be done in situ but you’ll have to poke around for other weak areas. An intermediate fix would be to treat it from inside with a chemical layer that would protect the rest of the metal from rusting, if the pinholes are not too big (finding someone to braze or weld a tank is always difficult, the ones that used to do it having sadly passed too early). Then of course you can change for a new tank, steel or alloy…

keep it on the road !

Maybe order a new tank? Bill & James Lawrance make very god tanks in UK. And not too expensive, original looking too.

Tadek

If you do grind it out please make sure the tank has been well ventilated otherwise you WILL need a new tank…and probably a new head.

1 Like

Thanks everybody for the prompt replies, as I suspected it seems that the person incharged of completing the restoration and checking that everything done before by others were effectively done in a proper way …was very negligent in delivering the car to me without checking this.

I’m very disappointed, of course not a problem buying a new tank…but after having awaited months to take delivery of the car I was impatient to drive it in the good season…and follow some friends in the final phase of 1000 Miglia the next weekend.

I understand from your comments that it wouldn’t be that safe going around with this issue…

it can be prepped manually with emery cloth, no need to use an angle grinder and sparking everywhere to check if there is still gas fumes around… esp. if the tank has not been rinsed and possibly filled with an inert gas.

I have fixed a number of tanks the “quick fix” way, it certainly can last months and years esp. if fixed at an early stage and the holes are pin holes rather than dimes, but considering this nicely restored car I would still plan for a fix up to that standard.

Rather than using polyester resin one can also use metal epoxy glue, holding in place a piece of fiberglass cloth - easier to handle as more viscous. Since it’s an upside-down fix one can also prepare a piece of plastic sheet/bag and a piece of wood covered with rubber/closed cell foam to press on the patch while it cures so as to make sure the hole(s) are filled and get a smoother finish. Make the patch a couple cm larger than the hole(s) area (free of paint or grease and scratched for adhesion).

The motorcyclists even know the side or the road fix, rubbing and pushing soap from a soap bar… possibly with a patch of tape if the ole is big - can get one home

1 Like

I would not been that worried and would certainly go to the event, esp. with the “quick fix” in place which can last if done properly, just keep an eye on it at the beginning - but I’m not you insurer…

Thanks Nic,
just had a look again…it seems more (but i’m not absolutely expert) an exudation from the cork gasket which slides along the tank and originates the drops in that point, may be this the case?
Whether affirmative should be less worrying right?

P.S. Sorry for bothering since the very beginning

this certainly can happen (gasket from the fuel sender door) and that would be a good news: you can try to retighten the screws a bit (don’t pinch the gasket, only a little at a time and following a cross pattern like a star) - or if it still bothers you you can undo it and use a fuel gasket compound (I would use the sticky type, not a silicone type) when putting it back. Again, this can be done in situ, you need to empty out the tank below the hole obviously. My guess it that may have happened with a full tank and going to the sun, which may have increase the pressure inside the tank because of dilatation and fumes.

It takes a while to get to know your car, best in my opinion is looking at it straight in the eyes and not being afraid of it…

1 Like

Hi Dante:

I had a similar problem with my XK120 fuel tank, it developed a drip leak at the rear seam. I used a product made by the Permatex company on the area and, even though it was many years ago, I have not had a problem since–touch wood! Obviously, as has been suggested, you need to ascertain exactly where the leak is coming from, but a repair could be done on the car. The problem, of course, is that the paint may be covering a weak area that could develop into pin holes necessitating a more drastic, and expensive, solution. Good luck. Beautiful car by the way. It looks like the front brake cooling areas have been enlarged too, something I did to my XK.

Regards,

Chris.

Use gaffers tape, and BEEG hunks of dry ice, in the tank!!!

Dante, if you believe the gas tank leak is originating at the cork gasket surrounding the fuel sender on the side of the tank, be very careful when tightening the six small screws surrounding the fuel sender. They are tapped into the fuel tank itself and will strip very easily. If you need to remove the fuel sender to apply sealant to the gasket or to replace the gasket, be sure to drop the level of the gasoline below the level of the fuel sender.

I’m jealous of your opportunity to be involved with the Mille Miglia. Beautiful car!

on second thought, it could only be that (a) nylon/rubber/fiber washer(s) may have been forgotten on the flange of the sender, resulting in fuel seeping through the thread : you may want to clean and dry it nicely to trace for sure the source of the leak before taking anything apart…

I would not drive with a gas leak…from anywhere: as others say …first determine where it is coming from…if it is the tank itself an outside repair can be done with various products that are common for that. temporarily, but…removal of the tank is not too hard…then determine if it is basically sound. I used POR fuel tank sealer with fine results…no leak. first the tank must be cleaned…POR recommended using a strong etchiin chemical…like Muriatic acid. then it is …add the POR , swish it all round rotating the tank…let dry, test and reinstall. POR has instructions. Caution when any fuel and or fuel fumes exist…anything can set it off…any electrical device in use nearby has internal sparks, a garage door opener in use can do it…the exciters in neon light bulbs, a friend who smokes unexpectedly drops in to say Hi !!

that’s it, I filled up the tank very very full then went to the sun…probably it will coontinue dropping until the level goes below the cork gasket …

Thanks for the info and the apreciation :slight_smile:

thank you…I don’t want to explode

Many years ago we sold a 150S Roadster (yea, stupid I know, but he offered us top money at the time, $3500) with a leaking gas tank. It had a rusted out area on the bottom of the tank that with probing expanded to maybe 1/4" wide by 6" long. We filled the crack with clear silicon caulk. You could see the gas thru the silicon. We told the new owner about the leak and suggested he look for a better tank. Several years later I spoke with the buyer and the silicon was still on the tank and still not leaking.

no grinding please lest a fire is started

I think I will give the silicone method a try on my tank , got to be worth a go, right ?:smile::smile::smile: