Gas Tank on 3.8

A little help here perhaps. My Series 1, built Oct/1962. I have the tank out and am ready to re-install it. I noticed on the bottom of the tank there was an " impression" of some sort of insulation material in a rough rectangle. I call SNGB on this and they said yes, in addition to the “donut” around the sump, there was an asphalt based application on the bottom of the tank. They suggest sound insulation material. Then they said there was also the same material in two places on the top side of the tank. My tank has no impression for that, but I never saw it in its original condion.

Anyone know of an insulation type material applied on the bottom as well as in two places on the top?

Again, I have sound deadening material that would function fine, but I have no idea where to place it on the top of the tank. Anyone?

I installed a bunch of this stuff throughout my daily driver. Effective, inexpensive, and easy to apply. You just need a metal roller to press it on. On sale right now too.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015WJH4ZW

Interestingly the 4.2 spare parts catalogue I have only notates the rubber pad on the underside, nothing regarding the top of the tank.

Right Robin, and the rubber pad is only the “donut” going around the sump. There were other pads there that the tank sat on instead of sitting metal-to-metal on the floor. I don’t see those listed in any parts book, but they are essential.
Erica, good find. I used RAAMMAT on a previous project; it seem very much like the Kilmat. That and a foam based product called Ensolite. Both of those made noticeable difference in sound and heat transmission. Today, those products are sticky backed. 15 years ago I used spray adhesive for the Ensolite and the RAAMMAT was a butyl base so it stuck ferociously. I sold the car 1 year ago and it was still all in place.

This is butyl so very sticky. The only mild criticism I have is that butyl can get a little odorific when hot so you need to pick up a roll of aluminum duct tape and seal every seam and edge. Then it will be odor free.

Thanks. Another good idea. I have enuf RAAMMAT to do the tank and it is butyl on one side and aluminum foil on the other. But sealing the edges with AL tape I will do. I will post some pics so others can see where the placement is. BUT

Anyone know where the insulation/asphalt patches are located on the top of the tank?

I don’t think my original 64 tank had any panels on top. I have none on the replacement one either.

I am not surprised but the guys at SNGB assure me they have seen them and no longer offer even a p/n for them. Their restored Jags in England have them, but no pics.

The gas tank I received with my boxes of parts for the 63 FHC shows no sign of any mat, adhesive, etc on the bottom or the top. I reviewed Haddock. No mention of mat. There are 2 partial photos on page 345 that show the top of the tank, including the fuel level gauge access point and the filler neck. Neither show anything except black paint.

1 Like

Although there’s no picture, the 3.8 parts catalogue does actually list and describe the mat under the tank.

BD20339 Rubberised Felt under Petrol Tank 6" x 7" x 1/2"

Nothing listed for on top of the tank.

On my '62, before I restored it, the tank was badly rusted underneath where this piece of felt had soaked up water that had got into the luggage area. I replaced it with a piece of 1/2" closed cell foam soaked in LPS3 (mil spec rust inhibitor).

Mine exhibited rust there as well. I left mine off completely. I was never convinced it did anything.

On my tank install I put a layer of kitchen plastic food wrap on the boot floor under where the tank would be and after install squirted some great stuff expanding foam under the tank. It makes a perfect “connection” between the tank and boot and won’t absorb water. If any foams out, you can cut it off with a knife. Fortunately I have not had to remove the tank, but I expect it would easily separate from the floor because of the plastic wrap.

The only picture/video I can find showing the mat on top of the fuel tank and also between the spare wheel and the bulkhead is this Richard Michael Owen video youtube video at about 4:13 minute mark.

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky6Q3PB0rUc

Tweety’s 1963 tank had neither anything on top, nor anything but the sound deadener on the bottom floor, and the donut.

These pads on the top of the tank have been discussed on at least several previous posts. From what I remember, they are only on the FHC, not OTS. There were two other pads around the spare tire area. Joey’s car apparently had the originals, shown at post 18:
Lets build a 1967 e type together.

If you search you will find several other references and photos showing the other pads.
Tom

Wow James, that is a great video to keep for car originality although it is a Series 2. thanks for that. Amazing how the most innocuous query starts a discussion; very informative for me. I can see I also need to keep a link to Joey’s '67 so thanks to Tom for attaching that. Here are some pics of my tank. The first shows the evidence of the rubberized felt cited by Clive. I put a scrap of RAAMmat in that location; it’s sticky butyl back by aluminum foil. It’s waterproof and has exceptional sound deadening characteristics plus I know it lasts a long time. And finally the foam donut around the sump. (Do you know the tank can be removed without taking off the bulkhead support bracket? I’ve done it multiple times…just keep wiggling it and it’ll come out. Then I realized the bracket is easy to take off and on!) I don’t think I’ll put anything on top until and if I figure out what is right for a Series 1.

Just for record, THAT tank was the original and the inside or bootwas NEVER touched an original 72,000 california car.
Now theres the donut sponge gasket around the sump canister wedged between the tank and floor.
Then a pad on top of the tank in the faux leather
Then I had a third facing forward in the picture.
I recall the same for my series 2 as well.
There might have nee a 4th next to the brake light but I forgot I could take a look

1 Like

Taking the tank out and in is a bit of a bother as everyone knows. I don’t know how others have juggled the rubber grommets when installing the tank, but here’s my solution. I used small “well nuts” pushed into the bottom of the bottom grommet and then pushed that into the support ear on the tank. held it with a rather short screw through a washer. That holds the grommet in place perfectly and once the tank is sitting properly, simply back out the screw sufficiently to grab it and pull it out. The well nut easily pulls through the tank’s support ear. I only use this on the two ears towards the outside of the car as the third is bolted in after the tank is in place.

I did this after dropping the grommet several times and having the back out the tank to retrieve it.

1 Like