Gaz vs Bilstein

My new springs have arrived, according to my Jaguar factory trained technician mechanic, these are the correct ones. I’m still thinking , he can put them on if they don’t look or fit right(not my problem)!

Clearly the same ones I have…paint stripe and all! You have a v12 though?

The problem here is that does anyone believe that the v12 rear springs would be different for the facelift i6? I guess they are, even though JDHT seems to agree that the ones we have are good for the Sportspack Convertible as well 5.3 and 6.0 Coupe.

I noticed one of our usual suspects last week was running a special on shocks for XJS (and e-types, IIRC) … made by a co. called “Wood (something)” … I never heard of this brand before, and was skeptical, esp. since they seemed to be such a good $ deal for a full XJS set (6 shocks) … I wrote the vendor about the brand and they wrote me back and informed me that the co. makes high-quality shocks for a reasonable price and has been in business for quite some time … :thinking:

Did you replace the rear springs also, if so did you take the spacers out . I have a 89 xjs conv, I replaced the rear springs and put in KYB shocks. I left one one the spacers on the springs and it sets way to high in the rear. Last weekend I took the other spacer out, still sits high but not as bad.

Maybe I posted on the wrong thread here, I went from shocks to springs. I see springs on the other thread. But I should go out an remeasure them. I’m not sure they all look the same height even in the picture.

KYB shocks after 2+years on the road. All-weather drive, stored outside, without rain anxiety…

Just mentioning…

Rain nervousness? Sorry could not help myself. Thanks Google.

Looks like you’ve been doing some off-roading with your XJ-S???

Replaced my springs today…I took them over to the garage I use…when I use a garage.

They charged me $40 to replace those springs! Best $40 I spent! Thanks to this forum to convince me to have it done elsewhere. The brake rotor option would have taken all day.

1 Like

I remember when I first started buying Jags many years ago (started with an XJ40) that KYB shocks were kind of a cheap “joke”: You bought them only if you could not afford “better” quality ones (e.g. Monroe, Bilstein, etc.) … However, since then, I have rarely heard many actual complaints about them, so I’m beginning to wonder if maybe they actually are a good quality shock, despite their low $$ cost and “skimpy” appearance. :thinking:

So did they have a jig that worked for that specific job, VK? :confused:

btw, I was going to ask where you live, as car labor repair rates must be pretty low there. However, I see you live in D.C… Isn’t that home to some of the highest car labor rates??? :open_mouth:

Yup. Private shops typically start at $90…dealers charge at least $120/hr. I’ve been friendly with them for a long time, and I even brought a box of donuts with me!

They had a machine that made it easier, but not easy.

Probably something like this, still can be scary, I had one in my workshop;

Atty,

With all the respect to your experience… How can you say that Monroe was a “quality ones”? It’s the worst sht I have ever seen on various cars, not mentioning Jaguar. This only proves how marketing twists the reality… It’s an absolute disaster, oil or gas, on or off road - it was unseen for these ‘quality ones’ to last over the any warranty period… Monroe failed badly in Europe, even the Eastern one. There was even a quiz for customers that could be taken at former Monroe’s dealers - “Insert missing letter: SH_T”

That Branick is exactly what they had…except that it looked about 30 years old.

They haven’t changed, at least since 1994…last one I purchase for the shop where I was working was OTC- portable, pneumatic, and quick. Big $$$ though; we were modifying suspension for wheelchair vehicles.

An old rotor sum all theard a couple of pieces of bar stock make an excellent spring compressor

The rotor trick sure does, but boy does it suck the hours away. It takes a long time to compress spring, remove split donut, decompress spring, replace spring, then compress spring, install split donut, finally decompress spring…repeat three more times…yikes.

For $40 who wouldn’t pay to have that done?

I would probably pay $40 four times!!

I did all 4 in about an hour using an impact gun