Gear box and Overdrive re-build

I know this is a huge question but does anyone know where I can find a video or instructions on how to check and rebuild a Moss Box and overdrive unit, do note I am very experienced in working on all sorts of cars but have never delved into a gearbox, I’m sure I can do it but before I jump in the deep end I want to make sure I will not bite off more than I can chew :slight_smile:

Thanks in advance

By the way its on my MKII and if interested you can see me doing all sorts of video’s on the MKII and other cars on my You Tube channel ‘jagvette1’

Look on Youtube :thinking:

The official jaguar workshop manual is a good starting point. Then with YouTube as Ian recommends should bring it all together

I’ve done a couple before and there’s nothing terribly overwhelming about them. (I’m just an enthusiastic amateur). The workshop manuals cover it pretty well, but you will need a dummy countershaft to assist during assembly otherwise the needle bearings will fall out. Fitting the O\d unit to the 'box is a pain, you really need the bellhousing on and the gearbox standing vertically. There are 3 sets of splines inside the o\d unit that all need to line up as you slide the o\d unit onto the gearbox output shaft and that can be challenging, but patience is the key. There are couple of longer studs that allow you to start compressing the o\d clutch springs. If they start to bind, back off and start again; something is not lining up.
Take your time and you will get there.

2 Likes

From my experience often a non-functioning OD is a bad solenoid, rather than something inside the unit.

Another tip: withdraw the pump so it does not hang up on the cam on the mainshaft. At least that is necessary with the compact type used with the full syncho gearbox.