Gear box Bell housing removal throwout lever axle pin seized

Trying to remove the bell housing, to access the bolts you need to remove the throwout bearing yoke axle pin, it is seized solid in the yoke, rotates freely in the mountings. Can it only be removed in one direction ?, the locating grub screw has been removed, propane heating applied, hole drilled in the bell housing to allow a driving bar access, it will not budge, the manual says remove in a downward direction.
Any thoughts appreciated.

I would guess that the steel shaft has rusted to the steel fork. I’d apply penetrating oil and wait. There isn’t enough room to actually remove it from the top but after it’s stewed for a good while in the oil you could insert a long drift from the bottom and tap up just to get it moving. Apply more oil if it moves and then start tapping down. Don’t tap so hard that you crack the aluminum ears. That will be very bad.

I had real problems trying to remove mine.
In the end I made up an extractor.
It looks like I salveged the bolt holder part, but it was a long time ago now to remember the details, but as can be seen from the photos, it is an easy part to make up.

Paul

That should have been a Churchill tool!

Yes it probably should have been :grinning:

It is not my original idea though; I saw it somewhere else first and copied it, but I can’t find the link now.

As you can see it is no longer square; that is how much force it took to extract the pin. :astonished:

Paul

Thanks Paul, may have to go down this track, one more effort with oxy/acetylene to drive it out, a quick heat up to expand the yoke then a big hammer and drive rod through the drilled hole in the bell housing.