Gear reduction hi torque starter motor

1970 XKE 2+2 - 4 Passenger Coupe Vin # 1R42907BW

During August of 2016, I installed a gear reduction hi torque starter motor. It worked very well until last Sunday when I tried to start the car and it went click. I turned the ignition switch off and on twice before the starter motor engaged. Now I am up to 3 – 4 or more clicks before the motor will engage. My battery is new and fully charged. I am sadly thinking it is a failing starter solenoid. Could it be something else? What should I check?

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Have you cleaned the inside of the battery terminals?

same issue on 2 other cars, turned out to be ground issue or lack of good ground

The fact you’re getting a click says the electromagnetic action is working and the solenoid part is working. Most gear reduction starters, however, have a fairly crude steel washer/plate contact system inside, and this can corrode. If even a new battery and jump leads to the starter don’t turn the motor, yôu’ll need to clean inside.

My personal experience with the GRS that I got from the firm in New England is that it did develop corrosion that I would say matched what Peter describes. I took it apart and cleaned everything and it was back to normal. Of course, getting the starter out on an Etype can be a real knuckle buster.

Thank you all. After cleaning the battery terminals the starter is performing as normal.