Gearbox Fill/Level Plug

Hi, hoping someone with greater knowledge than me can help.

I am trying to identify the fill/ level plug on the manual gearbox on my XJ6 S2.

On the right hand side of the gearbox there are 3 tapped plugs that go through to the gearbox: one larger one at the bottom and two above it vertically in line. See photo

If anyone could identify the correct plug that would be really helpful

The gearbox is a 4 speed synchro with an A Type Compact overdrive

Thanks
Ian

I’m not knowledgeable here, but I’m betting it’s the lowest one. The upper two look structural.

I think it’s on the other side, so on the left but the same height Kirbert identified, unless they changed it. Don‘t forget the overdrive too, and welcome to the forums.
David

Welcome Ian,

SII MOD - great combo! Congratulations!

The gearbox oil plug is at the lower front left side of the gearbox. There is also an overdrive oil plug located vertically at the rear left end of the OD unit.

Good luck

Jochen

75 XJ6L 4.2 auto (UK spec)

1 Like

I believe the 2 smaller ones marked are the mounting holes for the clutch slave cylinder, when fitted to a V12 bellhousing.

Doesn’t really look familiar for xj use, Ian, too may ‘bolts’. Which model year?

One way is to drain the box, then fill with the spec amount - and see which hole is the nearest…:slight_smile:

As usual; the level is at the bottom of the filler plug threads - to allow excess to drain off…

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)

Thanks everyone for your replies

There’s nothing on the left hand side of the gearbox - just an untapped boss

I think OldJagNut is correct that the two upper holes are for a clutch slave cylinder for the V12 bellhousing.

I will use the bottom plug for filling and correct level

By the way I have rebuilt the gearbox with new synchro rings and new rear bearing.

Thanks for all your responses

Ian

Sorry Ian,

maybe you just have a different animal under your hands? I doubt that the original OM for SII cars is that wrong …

This is what your gearbox should look like and C.19543 should be your drain plug.

If your box looks a lot different, try to give us some hints for identification (producer, part nos., Stanpart embossing etc.).

Good luck

Jochen

So, same gearbox except the fill plug is on the right side instead of the left? Could this be a UK vs US kinda thing?

At least not as per the parts catalogue - no RHD/LHD distinction.

Best

Jochen

I’m not sure what the confusion is here; the oil filler plug is on the RHS in both the photo and the drawing.

Yeah, but in the photo it’s on the right side, while in the exploded drawing it’s on the other right side.

1 Like

Ah, I just looked more closely and you are correct!

A bit more info on the gearbox, not sure if it helps at all

On the gearbox casing there are two numbers - P33202A and DA20594

On the top cover the number engraved is KPN1632

On the chassis plate the gearbox number is 015/16035, but I’m not sure how reliable that is as the engine number is an 8L number but on the chassis plate it is 7L. So probably had a bit of swapping of components in the past.

All I can say for certain is that the filler / level plug is on the RHS of the gearbox!

Here you go:

Anyone know if there are any casting dates or a table for the numbers? Maybe on the OD plate!

They are right. The lower hex head is a drain plug. The top 2 are machine bolts, identified by the markings on the top face. The filler plug has no markings, just a smooth flat top surface. The drain plug on the bottom of the casing would also have a magnet set into it to catch any metal in the fluid.

Yes, and C.799 would be the filler plug on the right side of the case.

Right - isn’t it nice to get a puzzle solved?

Numbers cast into the parts are typically part nos. P33202A seems to correlate to the Jaguar part no. for the gearbox case (C.33202). Usually the ID nos. are hammered in along the seal faces at the side of the housing or similar - I identified the number on my Spitfire gearbox only after cleaning the gearbox in uninstalled condition.

Good luck

Jochen

Those numbers correspond to a 4 speed non-o\d box I have from a 4.2 S1. Filler plug RHS. 1972 car.

Funny, because I looked into the S1 manual for my initial answer.