Gearbox Inspection Plate / Cover Deus Fastener

The original design can be found on the rear spats of MK2’s.

I love how clever people can be when finding resolutions to engineering issues. Pity Volodymyr changed his very grand name.

I’m still waiting to hear from Paneloc. Fingers crossed.

Stay well, Rob.

Tim

1 Like

Hello Gents,

I kindly friend in the USA has made contact with Paneloc and they will supply to the public but the catch is they have a minimum order of $100.00US. :persevere: That amount would buy about 20 sets of fasteners. I could buy a variety of lengths I guess?

Thoughts? The Barretts replacement (too short) are 12.00GBP a set.

Hi Tim,

I’ll throw my hand up for 5 sets, if this helps.

1 Like

Hi Jon,

Thanks for that. I’ll let you know how I get on.

All okay?

Tim

Here’s another source, but they may also prefer bulk orders.

Thanks, Rob.

Sometime the SNG Barrett web-site is quite frustrating. In a more random search I found three options of Dzus fasteners which, to me, all look to be differing lengths!

HW2014 - which look like the originals, though longer? $23.85US

8015AEAC-3645-4070-A036-587003447BEF

HW1063 which look a little longer? $5.73US

AB25F730-92F4-4A7A-8168-EB0634263244

HW2015 which I bought which are too short. $16.10US

4D7F7E65-A219-42C1-B1F5-B86F077D4D16

I have asked them for dimensions but am yet to hear back.

Tim

Further exploration on the internet, and following a tip from a fellow Jag owner, it appears that they are also known as Oddie Studs! I have found this company in the UK who I will contact hoping for a reply.

http://79.170.40.180/oddie-fasteners.com/studs.php

Also this UK company who make them in various lengths but only as long as the original Jaguar which is about 1". I’ll contact them as well, though they are closed until 4th January, 2021.

Tim

1 Like

I learn something new EVERY day!!!

Hey, hey, now we’re getting somewhere.
Fred Albert Oddie of Southampton Airport in Hampshire was the original inventor of the quick-turn fastener and patented it in 1938.

He is also famous among restorers of old Jaguars as the inventor of the Oddie nut.
six_slot_crimped_locknut

2 Likes

Okay, the HW1063 from Barretts is 6mm diameter and 23mm long. It needs to be another 10mm longer going on the photo from Roger. Oddie Fasteners manufacture them and I’m just waiting to back hear from them, fingers crossed! :crossed_fingers:t2:

Tim

1 Like

Hi Tim,

You’re right (as usual :wink:

SNGB suggests the same HW1063 for all these Jaguar part numbers:

BD1288/1 -> HW1063
BD1288/2 -> HW1063
BD1288/3 -> HW1063

And that’s right, as the first is the “Stud”, the second is the “Washer” and the third is the “Clip” each secured by two rivets (BD1289/2). Too bad that the SPC does not say the length of the original “Stud” ie BD1288/1 anywhere, or does it?

That’s also what I have (HW1063) in my MKV DHC with the cover with a hole and a tall dipstick and after banging the new carpet with a no-blow rubber/plastic mallet for a while I got the cover to stay put. :smiley:

Cheers!

1 Like

Oh well, nice to know what those nuts are called. I have them alright I just did not know what to call them, except “old style lock nuts”. :slight_smile: So “Oddie nut” it is.

Cheers!

1 Like

The Oddie Studs and Oddie Clips were widely used in the production of British motorbikes (such as Triumph, BSA, Bantom, etc) for quick access clip on panels. If you search on eBay or other shopping internet sites for “Oddie Studs” you will see them in various lengths depending on the motorbike they were originally used for - prices are much more competitive than the main Jaguar part suppliers !!! I obtained some slightly longer ones to those originally on my gearbox tunnel when I fitted a new carpet and the wool pile was thicker than the worn out carpet.

Hello David,
Thanks for that information. I had noticed that the application was for old English motor cycles and that there were generally three sizes. I hope that Oddie Fasteners in the UK will reply to my email. I guess things are in a bit of a mess in the UK at present so I might not hear from them till the New Year.

Stay safe.

Tim

Maybe that should be, “For once, for a change!” :smile:

Hopefully the manufacturers in the UK will get back to me.

Stay well and safe, Pekka.

Tim

Just to show that the Patent Number for the Oddie stud is correct I’ve taken the cover off my 1948 MK IV and this original Jaguar factory part has it stamped on the stud heads.

That’s great, thank you David.

So the company in the UK https://www.savigny-oddie.co.uk continues the name and production.

I still don’t understand why there is a hole in the centre of the inspection cover as it kind of defeats the purpose of having the cover?

Cheers,
Tim

I’m not sure either why a Cover Plate would have a large hole in it, only perhaps to stop the carpet fraying and still giving quick access to the dip stick. I see most restored cars have either the plate under the carpet or the plate hole covered over, even a few with a pulge in the cover/carpet where the top of the dip stick sits proud.

The original stud length is 1" (25mm) on my 1948 MK IV, so with good new wool carpet replacement being thicker than the original Jaguar carpet you either need to compress the fibre carpet thickness or have 30mm studs to compensate.

Hi Tim,

I don’t think anyone knows for sure, but IIRC the theory has been that at least on the MKV it always had thin padding and was covered (including the hole) with Rexine matching the interior and the hole is under there so it would not foul or make a “clonk” if the engine and gearbox would move enough so the tall dipstick on the gearbox could hit the cover. :slight_smile:

Cheers!

It needs a “bowler hat”!

1 Like