Gearbox interchangeability

As you may know I am planning on fitting a very good 3.4 XJ6 Engine in to my 240

Engine side of things is sorted ,

At the moment the Engine is fitted with a starter ring for a Auto box ,I plan on fitting a lightweight Etype flywheel , and a new clutch that will fit !

I just wondered if the MK2 1968 all Syncro gearbox will be a bolt on job

At the moment it is bolted on the back of a early 1964 3.4 Engine , running fine in the car

Thanks for any help !

the answer is yes but… the trick is getting the flywheel, bellhosuing and starter motor combination correct, such that the starter will mesh correctly and turn the engine. just needs to be tried and tested before you install it.

Are you planning to change out the diff ratio as well? Overrun braking will be impressive :slight_smile:

I take it the early 3.4 engine is currently fitted in your 240? If so just transfer the flywheel, Starter motor and all synchro onto the xj 3.4 engine.

you must listen to what Robin has mentioned. You normally ned to change the diff ratio to suit the new box.

I don’t tend to do things in the conventional way !
Yes car is running fine at the moment , it has the original Auto axle in it , later gearbox with overdrive , and a early 3.4 engine , I am very happy with that set up , I know others will say no you should do this you should do that ,
Now I am not saying if a good 3.8 LSD comes my way I wont fit it !

Only reason for the engine change is , the rear main oil seal needs doing , and its down a little on oil pressure !

The 3.4 XJ6 engine is on a test bed , so I will bolt the box on the back and connect a clutch up before I fit the engine

My 3.8’s lost compression on No2 cylinder accompanied by something rattling in the exhaust downpipe, I suspect (Hoping) a valves broken up. I’ve got an S3 big valve 4.2 that i plan on dropping in whilst i pull the 3.8 apart.

1 Like

Forgot to mention don’t forget to transfer over the manual spigot bush, Easy to overlook once your stuck into the job!

Scott , you do know the s3 head has more water ways at the back , they will need welding up ! s-l225%5B1%5D

Yes mate, Putting the full S3 motor in, Managed to get a 420 sump and inlet manifold aswell as xj6 S1 2" SU’s. Got an early oil filter housing kicking around aswell, Will be interesting to compare performance over the 3.8 :sunglasses:

Sorry thought you was just doing a head job , are you making yours look like it come out a MK2 like I am doing !
I am using 2 inch Su’s thou !

Yes, Planning on swapping over the smooth cam covers etc, Got an XJ S1 4.2 tacho aswell.