Gearbox on my series 2

why it give it all a look and yeah that’s it factor fitted hif 7 but was on the PI line its a UK one and im Scotland but yeah my series 2 is that. it would be a series 3 if it had be a couple weeks later I think as she was on the very end of production in 78

Many S2s had PI from the factory so interesting didn’t know they made carbs so often so you’re probably right that it’s unusual?
Compared to my PI problems I wish for carbs sometimes if you want the relevant carb info from the manual I can look that up if you want but you’ll should be able to get it running eventually. Don’t f*ck the engine if it’s still decent either a spare or sell it for more than the car was worthless eventually.

Harry, I take it you have the firing order correct for the car? The XK engine is different from most engines as the cylinders are numbered 1-6 from the firewall.

When you keep it 1-5-3-6-2-4 and it sparks on the frontmost on the right time it should not matter what number it has? I think. Anyways, 6 is the frontmost. This is how you set it up.

I appreciate that I was just pointing out that the No1 plug lead should be nearest the firewall.

My S2 F.I. badged XJ12 was built in November 79.

US got Opus and EFI on last year of 6cyl XJ S2

If the car is original Series II and it’s an automatic; your option for the six cyl was a Borg-Warner 12 or 65 3 speed for the 4.2 6cyl or a 4 speed manual (I’m not sure who makes it)
The V12’s had GM Turbohydro 400 aka GM400 transmission. Rock solid! the shifting modulation was monkey’d with by Jaguar to make it “softer”. with a lock up and “proper” valving and the right amount of torque supplied to it; I’ve seen American muscle cars pick up the front tires between shifts. Stock in US form, the GM400 shifts are so crisp, you can easily chirp tires between gear changes.

on the Diff, there should be 3 tags max two for sure.

• 1 with the two digit date a

• another with the gear ratio code something like 43 / 13 which equates to 3.31 to 1
    the codes are for a 4.2 6cyl
    43/13 ratio of 3.31 to 1,
    43/14 the desirable ratio 3.07.1,
    46/13 ratio of 3.54 to 1

• The 2.8 and 3.4 6cyl had
    45/11 ratio of 4.09 to 1
    50/11 ratio of 4.55 to 1

• and possibly another tag with BP-L or just P-L if it’s a powerloc (aka LDS or Limited Slip or posi depending on which pond you’re near)

Not Opus, but CEI I think. Only US had FI for the S2 models?
When the tags can’t be found then jack up the rear at the bottom plate of the IRS with a block of wood in between (or a lift) and spin one wheel. The other wheel will spin in the other direction on a non-LSD. The BW12 is cast iron (right?) and the 65 aluminum with a ‚fan‘ on the torque converter that isn’t there on the later 66s. The 65 is a bit fragile nothing to worry about though. It might tell you the transmission type on the dipstick.

Any trans will need some form of adapter and as I said numerous times before the only reasonable way to get five speed autos is to find a very old 4+lockup or 5-speed without electronics.

I think CEI is what all the S3 sixes got and many V12s with the AB14 amp.

The S2 XJ6 US cars got an interim electronic fitment before deployment of universal CEI and although I’ve never see such a car I believe it was a form of OPUS.

1 Like

Cheers guys I’ll do some reading on those boxes and I guessed I need to get a bell housing plate to match it up but can I ask why does it need to be an old one not a new one I just assumed I would to run live power to the switch box on the auto box

Older 4+lock up boxes do not need any electronic feed back/input from a ECU a 4hp22 ZF box is the one that Jag used in the early XJ40, this is a ‘mechanical’ box the later 4hp24 ox uses a TCU (Transmission ontrol Unit) to determine when to change ratios.

Okay but does the tcu need engine information to set the ratio or does the tcu not have the ratio preset or does it need live data to operate

Yes. It needs a ton of data you don’t have.

Right got you so to switch the box I’d need to use an old school one fully mechanical

Yes the other point to take into consideration is that XJ40 (4HP22) box fits up to the engine which is on <>15DEG angle to vertical.

Because you’re in the UK you can use the box from any 3.2 XJ40 or X300. The 3.2s never had electronic mode selection and are pure hydraulic boxes.

what bellhousing and or machining is needed?

Is there good info on the conversion?

some years ago it cost $A10,000 to get this conversion done,
so I never looked into it, but felt sure it could be done for less

Probably just an adapter plate to rotate the trans so that it is parallel to the ground, one of our club members did this to his XJ40 race car. He stood the engine up vertically (I forget why) and had to rotate the trans back.

have you considered a Tremec transmission? They are bullet-proof, adjustable, and be had for any application.

Just a thought.

ill do some reading on those box’s im just thinking ahead for everyday driving and a I was think a box with a better gearing ratio atleaste or something with 5 or 6 speeds would just improve the car alot