Generator on Mk9

I may have touched on this before, but the ignition light comes on when I drive with more than 3000 rpm. If I go back to lower revs it will go off.
Before I remove the generator after undoing the power steering hoses from the pump, I thought I would ensure that it isn´t a faulty regulator,which is far easier to remove for repair or replacement.
In August the light came on at lower revs, during a 350 mile trip, and then went off again about an hour later.
Something is not right!!!
Peder

Is there a way you could hook up a digital volt meter to monitor while you are driving. I presume you know the voltage values at idle and when you rev the engine up using the digital meter. It could be a faulty ground?

Gerard

Interesting…!
You mean the grounding of the regulator…isn´t it mounted on 4 rubber pieces, and uses a wire to groud?!
The car is in a garage 10 min away, but I can check tomorrow.

Could someone more versed with the generator regulators step in here to determine if Peder is getting the right voltage from his generator. All of my systems run off of an alternator conversion with internal regulators and I can determine voltage right from the alternator. I think one could determine voltage from the generator terminals but the regulator might have an internal fault with the points not conducting a proper circuit?

Does the ignition light work off of the voltage at the battery or voltage to another circuit?

Gerard

One way I test a Lucas generator on the car is to disconnect the field wire and output wire at the generator, connect a jumper lead from one terminal on the generator to the other. Then connect a volt meter to ground from the jumper lead. Start the engine and then GRADUALLY increase the engine speed above idle. You should get a continuous rising voltage but do not go over 20 volts. If this reading is correct your issue is probably with the regulator or the wiring between the generator and regulator. What this test is doing is causing the generator to self energize by putting the output back into the field.

It is curious how your ignition light goes out then on again with higher engine speed. I am also working through issues with my Mark IX using this Lucas document on Generator and Control Box tests which I found on mga guru.

Lucas Tests

MattLucas_Generator_and_Control_Box_Tests.pdf (824.1 KB)