Generator or Fan Belt

Hi All,

Have read many posts on belt replacement, however, still not clear on brand, size, part number.

What is the latest suggestion? My generator is original.

Thank you,
Bob

Hi Bob:

The last fan belt I purchased for my XK120 DHC (which was in 1991 by the way) was a Dayco V-belt #24390.

Best regards,

Chris.

Thanks Chris,

Where you able to slip over the generator, moved to touch engine, without having to remove the lower 2 generator bracket bolts?

To remove mine, I had to cut if off. My old belt is a "Megadyne C37 1/2 22x950 IL. I think this was too tight.

Thanks, Bob

Hi Bob:

It was a long time ago, however, as I recall I removed the bolt from the generator adjusting bracket (and I would add that my generator is also original) and pushed the generator as far as it would go towards the engine block and this allowed fitment. I did not have to remove the bottom bolts. I just did a quick check in the garage and the Dayco belt is 11/16" in width and is good snug fit in the pulleys.

Chris.

I have always used industrial size 5L380. It is 21/32" wide and equivalent to Gates 3380 and 6938.
I have a Gates TR24400 in my stash. I have never tried it on the car. Rock Auto and Jegs search engines come up with this one as being for XK120. It is about 3/4" wide. AC Delco equivalent is T24400.
The last time we discussed belt adjustments, I was surprised to discover that my generator adjustment bracket had been cleverly modified by some PO to make it a little bit longer, making it easy to install belts.

Hi Rob,

Great! Thank you very much for your emails!
Bob

Hi All,

I ended up installing the Gates B36 belt. It was difficult to get over the 3 pulleys, but seems to fit.

Does anyone know of a replacement belt adjustment bracket that adds ~ 1/4-1/2" more adjustment?

While the B36 belt seems to be adjusted “ok”, it is adjusted to the max on the bracket. Could use a bit more to snug belt up, plus as it stretches over time, gives me more adjustment for tightening.

Thanks,
Bob

I’ve figured out how to use the search engine better, entering my old user name, and I found this thread from a year ago where I described my modified adjustment link:

So if you can find some 3/16" x 1/4" steel bar stock and know a weld shop, you could take it there and ask them to make it like mine.

Here is a shot I took this morning.

Wow, Andrew, you are fast! I see he fixed the link to my old photos already. Attaboy!:smiley:

Big brother is watching…

Actually, I updated the forum software this morning, so I’m paying close attention to see if things start going pear shaped. It’s the IT equivalent of keeping a close eye on the brake fluid level for a while after you’ve rebuilt and bled the brakes.