Genuine Starter Motors

I had a drawn out failed romance with the disastrous reduction starters. It all began when the original starter in my series 3 became sluggish, and after having it supposedly repaired it was no different. Not knowing however that I had bought the car without a starter spacer that for some reason had not been refitted. After buying and returning under warranty a few reduction starters I gave up. I managed to buy a good secondhand genuine starter with the spacer, Hindsight PHD I have.

Umpteen years ago I jumped on the reduction gear starter bandwagon. I, too, had some difficulties. On both my XJ6 and XJS V12 the starters need to be shimmed a couple times to get the correct mesh. Not a big deal on the XJ6 but very unpleasant, to say the least, on a V12. After that they performed well enough…but I wasn’t sufficiently “wowed” to ever go down that path again.

As the decades go by I find myself increasing less likely to experiment and increasingly more likely to take the path with the highest probably of success. :slight_smile: With starters that means staying with the originals.

But, many have reported nothing but happy results.

Cheers
DD

I tottally agree. I have the modern so called Hi Reduction (I think that is the name) starters on several cars. One one psrticular car, a 420G, the starter makes a horrible noise, before getting the engine to run.
On another car, my S-type, the initial feel is a dead battery. On a second push of the button, it gets the engine going. On a third car, an XK140, the starter was dead after a 2,5 hr drive followed by a 10 nin stop at a gas station, after which U had to roll start the car on 2nd gear. Contininued to my summer house 3 hrs away. As I reversed over a threshhold the engine stalled and the starter was agaid dead. Pushed the car in and the next morning it was fine.
Someone on the forum gave a blessing to a well rebuilt original starter a few yrs ago. The problem is finding people/workshops who can do a good job on them…

Sorry, they are called Hi torque starters.

Different names no matter, too much wiring drain in these old girls. I disconnect earth, if the car is to just sit for 3-4 fays. I did see some reman starters on the web, so as time goes on more need to be prepared. Nice to hear the original genuine crank sound, the replacements, sound tinny.

I just checked, on ebay in Aus and it says REDUCTION STARTER. Gee why do people split hairs?

In England they call them Hi torque starters😅

There you go we are both right, but correcting for no good reason, can unfortunately sound patronising. And maybe that’s not you, but forums are full of it.

In theory, Doug; the geared/reduction/high torque starter is sound…

The faster the starter turns the less current is drawn/necessary, but with the same torque - which is the ‘good thing’ for geared starters. However, if the starter is dimensioned for lesser current, the gain is negated.

The ‘old’ starters were designed to accept very high stall currents, some 1000A - and the higher the current the more power/torque. The latter also relates to the rotor diameter - and it is not given that a geared starter is a clone of the old starters in these respects…:slight_smile:

As you say; aftermarket parts may or may not perfect replacements - and I’m not sure that everybody goes through the procedures required for good function. With standard Jaguar alternatives; Jaguar did the hard yards - and of course, any original part removed and refitted will at least fit.

One can argue about aftermarket quality, but Jaguar did pay some attention to quality and suitability from the suppliers - as the age of our cars show…?

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)

A few years back, after consultation, I had a very experienced auto electrician rebuild a Lucas M100 starter, which I think is out of a S3.

He stated the following;

that all parts are available, except the “over running clutch”

in his opinion, the OEM starter is no more troublesome, longer lasting and far more robust than reduction starters

The O/H cost was the same or less than a new Reduction

I have personally fitted new brushes to reduction starters before.
They do not last longer than Lucas

I have also had them fail

The auto electrician pointed out a major flaw with reduction is the casting fractures due to their small size, he showed me some

I fitted the M100 to replace the massive M45, which is huge, heavy, and needs a big battery as it pulls a lot of current, the M100 is about 2/3 its size

I am not against reduction starters as they draw much less current, but dont consider them to be an upgrade on the M100 for an XJ

Ageed. The orignal Lucas starters (and alternators) were as good as any other in terms of longevity.

Of course they are subject to eventual failure, like any other. Over the decades, the originals find their way into the rebuilding cycle. The mass-volume rebuilders often cut corners and/or use lower-grade parts…and that’s where the reputation becomes sullied.

Cheers
DD

I’m lucky. In my neck o’ the woods we have a couple shops that specialize in starter and alternator rebuilding. I’ve had great luck with them, much better success than buying off-the-shelf rebuilt units from a parts vendor. And, generally, much more expensive…but worth it IMO

Cheers
DD

Doug,
All,

I accidentally found an automotive electric component rebuild shop which appears to have all pieces/parts necessary to rebuild older Jag starters and alternators.
I deliberately looked for a starter repair shop in business a long time, though I didn’t expect anyone now working to be familiar with what I was dragging in.
My starter had died and jammed in the ‘engaged’ position, locking the block. I decided to treat the alternator to a rebuild due to age and decades of oil bath.
Made sure I had all the information ready, and as I lifted my wretched looking starter clear of its box, an older gentleman about 35 ft. away in the shop began announcing “Lucas.” “Mid-'70’s.” “Full-size…Jaguar V12?”. I then thought to myself “This must be the right place!”
Turns out that very shop was a US Midwest Lucas warranty repair shop in the 1970’s, and still has NOS on the shelf. Wasn’t cheap, but less than buying a replacement.
Makes the proper growl when hoisting that mighty crank around.

B & W Auto Electric
4699 Commerce Avenue
Cleveland, Ohio 44103

(216) 431-1164

2 Likes

I had the same thing happen years ago. I brought a Ferrari starter into my rebuilder and as soon as I entered the door he said “Ahhh, Magenetti Marelli”.

I’m convinced that nothing fazes these guys. You could bring 'em a starter from a riding lawnmower or giant earth moving bulldozer and they’d know how to repair it…and where to get the parts.

Cheers
DD