Getrag 290 oil seals

Does anyone know what size oil seals I need for the output shaft and for the selector shaft?

Cheers,
Harald

I think the output shaft should be a 40 x 55 x 8. I researched a bit and found that the Jaguar part number for the oil seal is the same for the Getrag 290 and the Getrag 265 used in the XJ40. Then I went to the BMW parts catalogue and looked up what oil seal the 265 (used for example on the e12 5 series) requires.

Still don’t know about the selector shaft though.

Cheers,
Harald

Is it an o-ring? If you manage to extract the seal without totally scrunching it, your local seal shop will just read the numbers off the old one. If you do mash it he’ll measure the remains or you can measure shaft & housing diameters and recess depth. It’s dead easy with metric seals.

In case it’s any use, I’ve got a lightened single-mass flywheel and new clutch and jaguar Getrag hydraulics. Going cheap as I’ll never use them now.

Hi Peter,

Thank you for the hints. I will pull the output shaft seal (which is a radial seal), and if it is not the size I reaserched and now have on order, I will go to the shop and ask them what it is.
With the selector shaft I am not sure what it is. It might be an O-ring or a radial seal as well. I am a bit reluctant to pull it out, as I am almost certain the leak is only the output shaft and the oil has sprayed everywhere. And I don’t want to damage a good seal only to find I can’t get a propper replacement.

Cheers,
Harald

Ok, now I know that the output shaft seal is specific to the Jaguar Getrag 290. The 40x55x8 seal as used on other cars does NOT fit.
Just in case anyone ever reads this in search of the correct seal:
What is needed instead is a 1 1/2" x 2 3/8" x 5/16" seal. Specifically the SKF 14994 fits.

Cheers,
Harald