Getrag conversion in a short wheel base XKE

Hi Guys,
Has anyone successfully fitted a Gertag 265/6 transmission in a Series 1 Coupe?
I am about to replace the engine frames on my 67 Coupe and figured this is about the best opportunity to fit a 5 speed transmission. About a year ago, I installed a Getrag 265/6 in my 250SL Pagoda and I just love it. I have another one just waiting to go in the E Type, if it is at all possible, without butchering the car.
Your advice will be much appreciated.
Regards
Chris

Thanks Guys,
I think I got the message, LOUD AND CLEAR.
Much appreciated.

My understanding is it’s a bit difficult and cutting required……. Better idea….change the diff to a 2.88 and enjoy the pleasure of not looking for longer legs …the car is still very spirited in the lower gears too

2 Likes

Thanks Danny,
Much appreciated.
Chris

I did the change on a Series 2 . But I think there shouldn’t be any difference . The installation was straightforward , just a little bit of cutting at the gearbox tunnel where the gear lever comes out .
But you need a lot of parts to make the Getrag ready to fit . If interested look at www.limora.com , part number 337099 . Additionally you need a clutch driven plate and a prop shaft .
I kicked it out after 10.000 kms , for me the 1. and the 2. gear ratios are too low for the high torque engine , I installed a 5 speed gearbox from Classicfab with standard ratios for 1. - 4. gear and 0,63 for 5th .
Greetings Martin

If I’m not mistaken, isn’t the Getrag box a 1:1 (or close to it) in top gear?

If so, it seems you’d still want a 3.07 or 2.88 final drive to make the car enjoyable to drive, so it would make sense to do the diff swap first, and then decide if the gearbox swap is still “necessary”.

2 Likes

Not as I understand it the 5th gear is effectively a reduction to less than 1 which can be achieved using the taller diff

1 Like

my Getrag 265 has 1 : 0,78 gear ratio , but a Getrag Sport 265 has 1 : 1 in the 5th .
Martin

Hi Chris a.o.
A Getrag 265 is almost the online 5 Speed Box that fits in a Serie 1 without cutting ! This because its length .
As a Hobby I sold several of this Gearbox sets for the Mk2, Xk, and E type , last one really this week for a S1 , Consist of box, adapter plate, pilot bush, centre disc, chromed shifter and special tachometer drive for our jaguars. Further of course a new flange at the rear.
As I am in the Netherlands, will shipping of the parts be to costly , but if you want pics send me a pm .I don,t know how to do this here in the threath.
By the way : unless a sport box ( final 1:1) have all Getrag’s out of the BMW an overdrive 5th gear.
Regards Roger

A 0.78 OD would be nice in something like an MGB, but in something with the torque of an E-type, it seems like you’d want something more like a 0.68, no?

So, back to my previous comment, it seems like anyone with a 3.54 would still find themselves wishing for a 3.31 or 3.07 ring and pinion even with the Getrag.

Hi
why do you not use a T 56
ratios: 2.66, 1.78, 1.30, 1:1, .80, .63.

A few pics of the Getrag set wits its parts

1 Like

Rodger, thanks, I would appreciate some more photos,
Much appreciated.
Chris
cfm65@me.com

Hi Guys,
Thanks for your input. I have a 2.88 diff installed.

For the record, the Getrag 265/5 is a 5 speed close ratio transmission, “dog leg” first gear and 1:1 5th

The Getrag 265/6 (Rodger’s photos above) is the overdrive box, normal 5 speed H shifter pattern, a 1:1 4th gear and 5th with an “overdrive” ratio.
THIS IS THE ONE TO HAVE.
As mentioned above, I have installed one in my 250SL Pagoda and love it.
Regards
Chris
Cape Town

Why would you have a 5 speed with a final ratio 1:1 ? Not needed when you have so much torque and using the 2.88 gives you the long legs

1 Like

I think that is quite viable: my '63, with a 3.07 behind the stock Moss 'box, never wanted for low-end grunt, even at 4300 meters.

Continuing the discussion from Getrag conversion in a short wheel base XKE:

Apologies guys, I accidentally erased my previous post. However, for easy identification I will try to post a photo of the Getrag 265/5 close ratio transmission and the 265/6 overdrive unit.

Chris

1 Like