Getting Rally Ready - Speedo Concerns

I have changed the differential from 3:5:4 to 3:0:1.
Increased the size of my tires to 205’s.
Replaced the angle drive and speedo cable.Had the gauge reconditioned.

Given this, there is no way the speedo will be accurate.

I am hoping to find a portable GPS based system using my phone (heads up display preferred) to solve my accuracy problems.

Time, speed, distance is required.

Anybody got a suggestion?

Bob

There doesn’t seem to be any shortage of these things:

1 Like

I use an app on my android phone
Rally tripmeter
There is a free trial period and then it costs me <>$15.00NZ/3months

Thanks.

I did some sleuthing and discovered all sorts of Apps for my iPhone.

Thanks,

Bob

Thanks.

Did a bit of sleuthing and found all sorts of Apps for my iPhone.

Bob

Same gearing and tires I have. Mentally add 10% to your speed & odo distance
IE. 60 on Speedo = 66mph

Just a note, theres no need to respond individually one post can be seen by all, saves typing multiple replies :slight_smile:
Also you can add your location by going to settings and add your country flag.

Check the rules of the Rally you are going on. Classic car rally’s usually prohibit modern devices such as GPS or SatNav and insist on period correct Halda meters or similar.

Wish my 'rents hadn’t tossed out their Curta “pepper grinder.”

:confounded:

Still have mine! I love that thing, even though I have no real use for it.

I have an HP 65, too, although the card reader no longer works. I think the rubber on the drive wheel rotted away.

Ah yes, but is not a linear relationship.

Bob

Why not get your speedo recalibrated…or if not concerned about originality fit a programmable speedo

Had the gauge cleaned and reconditioned and found out the making that 10% adjustment could turn into major surgery.

The clock has not worked since 1974 … not going there.

Best option is a heads up display App for my iPhone to handle speed, time and mileage.

Thanks,

Bob

As an alternative you can have a ratio adaptor built. I did it and my speedometer is accurate, according to my gps anyway

Hi Bob…recalibrating a speedo is routine…iv had 4 converted in the last 6 months…iv also installed a programmable speedo you fit a pulse adaptor to the end of the speedo cable…from the adaptor u wire to the speedo…drive the car at a measured 60mph (follow someone or use phone app)…press a button and its done…you speedo is then calibrated

1 Like