Getting the best out of standard suspension components for touring driving today

Looking at dimensions of original and Gaz front dampers, following an interesting discussion on a thread set up to discuss bushing materials:

A Gaz front damper I recently bought for testing is significantly shorter than an original Girling unit, allowing the suspension to move approx 1 inch further in bump travel. If my numbers are correct that will tend to put more work (stress) into the bushing. Is that a potential risk for owners using stiff bushes (of the fixed, not rotating sleeve design), perhaps using their cars in rougher conditions, to experience more bushing strain with Gaz front dampers?
This condition could be reduced by controlling excess bump travel, perhaps with an additional piece of jounce bumper. A section of shaped foam could give more progressive ride feel, and would also constrain the geometry changes (toe, camber etc.) within the design limits.

I understand the rebound travel is correspondingly shorter for the Gaz, but I don’t think that will compensate because the major energy is dissipated in the bump stroke.