Getting the XJ12 on the road

Brakes are fully done. No coolant leaks on the past two drives.

But in a slight change of plans, I’m going to try painting the car.

I have completely stripped the car except the upper window chrome mouldings, which I’m leaving in place.

I didn’t break too many things doing it.

I did break the passenger side mirror cheater finisher. So, of course, I was paying extra attention when doing the driver’s side. I didn’t break the finisher, but it did pull up the piece of tape they used around the interior of the window opening.

Should I just glue this back down? Contact cement?

Looks like fun. I plan to paint my Jade Green XJ12 also, but after some wheel arch welding. Your wheel arches look great! Lucky you.

My go to glue for hot cars is Dap Weldwood Landau top HHR. But for such a small area it’s not cost effective. I’ve also had great luck with 3M Black Super Weatherstrip Adhesive. Put on both sides separate, let it dry, then a thin bead just before pressing together. You can rub excess off paint before it cures, but it ain’t going nowhere after it cures.

I’ve actually got a gallon of that (Weldwood landau) from last summer. That was my plan, but I’m usually hesitant when it comes to plastics. I hate to put it on and have it dissolve the plastic. I can’t really tell if this tape is still available for purchase. I really thought it was a plastic finisher when I was doing this.

This is my first attempt at painting. Something I’ve wanted to try for a long time. Whenever some says that I it seems daunting I always tell myself that much stupider people have done this really well (yes, that can apply to pretty much anything).

The car is in really good condition. Only a couple of door dings. Bad previous respray. Bubbling (I’ve inspected and original paint is intact underneath) in places, fading and flaking elsewhere. Overspray on the sunroof gasket has me shaking head.

Haha we’re in the same boat. When I painted my first car I figured… I know high school drop out coke addicts that do this. The paint of first paint job was good… but it made me realize my bodywork skill were lacking. So what did I do? I did it over. Now it’s easy.

1 Like

I’ve had paintless dent repair on other cars. It seems like body shops have this similar treatment before starting.

I have a couple spots on the hood of my XJS that need attention. I might have him do both cars to keep the costs down.

I’ve used this person for half a dozen cars, so I know he’s pretty good.

And how many Jade Green '96 XJ12 are in the US?

The Weldwood landau adhesive seems to do the trick.