Getting to the Front Side Marker Light

Ever since I’ve owned Superblue there is one “imperfection” (if that is the right word) about her body and it irks me to no end. For some reason, her front left side marker light just kinda “floats” around loose inside her mounting hole in the side of the bumper, instead of being nice and tight up against it. I have even had other persons who were checking out Superblue point that issue out to me :blush: My guess until now was that maybe her front bumper had been removed for some reason and was not centered correctly when put back on by her PO, meaning to correct the issue with the light I would have to pull the entire bumper and re-center it. :confounded: However, now that I have access to the full panoply of factory service materials, I see that in '94 (Superblue’s MY) Jag changed its means of mounting the side marker lights. They apparently are supposed to attach to the bumper with the using of tight-fitting tabs on the backside of the light assembly which fit into corresponding holes on the bumper.

I suspect now that the reason the side marker light is loose is that there was some impact to that area of the car while the PO had Superblue, that caused the light assembly to be knocked from the bumper. It looks like, from the factory service manuals, if I just remove the bumper cover that will give me access to the light and i should be able to just snap it back into its place on the bumper. :question: However, the manual also makes it look like there is a lot of work involved in just removing the bumper cover. Is that correct? Can it be done without putting the car on a lift?

Removing the bumper cover is a pita, even if you have done it before.
It also should not be required, to replace the side marker lights.
The light assembly doesn’t attach to the bumper cover.
It attaches to the body panel underneath, it might be more accurately described as a brace.
You should be able to get the old one out through the inner wheel well access door.
There is a small 8" x 8" piece in the middle of the panel with a twist “door knob”:
Unscrew it 1/4 turn and it should just open.
The lens only contacts the bumper cover by a gasket.
You should be able to remove the lens if it’s tabs are broken without any problem.
If the tabs are broken then all that hold the lens in place is the lamp holder.
That again is a normal 1/4 turn disconnect.
I might have a left side amber lens in my parts bin.
Please send me a PM if interested.
My parts inventory has been only slightly been depleted, so I need to verify it.

Thanks, Equip! :slightly_smiling_face: I’ll do the old “wheel arch colonoscopy” and see what it reveals and get back to you. The nice thing is I now have one of those “Lizard Cam” things (i.e. fiber optic viewer) that will let me snake a cable in there and see what’s going on more clearly, if need be. :+1: