Gluing chrome hockey sticks

Looking for a recommendation for an adhesive to glue down the chrome strips at the sides of the windshield. Will a weatherstrip adhesive do the job? Mine were installed by the shop that did the windshield, presumably using a pro adhesive (four blobs) and one of the strips came loose. Hate to loose one on the highway!

John North
69 Coupe

I used 3M black weatherstrip adhesive,. . . sparingly.

John;
I think there are a couple of screws through the back side of the chrome strip into the A pillar, at least there is on my car. I did not use any adhesive on mine as I thought it might promote rust.

Regards, Joel.

I used black urethane adhesive.

A couple of good sized blobs of urethane adhesive, same stuff the windshield guys use. There’s quite a void to fill behind those trims.

Then, a neat bead of the same stuff along the roof joint and where the trim meets the lower chrome windshield trim and at the bulkhead.

1 Like

That’s true of 2+2s but not of FHCs.

1 Like

Put the urethane adhesive on the A pillar and the chrome so when you bond together you are sure to get adhesion

Is that what folks are also using on the outer door top chrome on the OTS?

+1
3M Super Weatherstrip Adhesive is the equivalent of the Bostick that was originally used by the factory.

JeffR

3M Super Weatherstrip Adhesive seems too thin to me. How about Silaflex?
Maybe I’ll use both. 3M on the rubber seal, Sikaflex on the A-pillar.

Thoughts?

Sikkaflex is the stuff that I used: just don’t use a whole lot of it. Use it on the ends of the hockey sticks, by the windshield trim, and a little bit on the top, and a fillet like Clive mentioned.

Don’t try to fill the whole back side otherwise you will never get it off without completely and utterly destroying the hockey sticks.

Left over Sikaflex makes a great seam sealer too. Might as well use it up once it’s opened.

1 Like

Yes, because if you don’t, it soon becomes an expensive wheel chock!

Yes I’m on tube 3. never more than 25% used.

3M worked fine for me. You just have to use it right. Clean both parts well, apply to both parts, and wait a few minutes till it gets tacky, then add more to one part and assemble. Tape it down with strong tape for a day. Mine have never budged.

I would advise against using a urethane adhesive for rubber weatherstrip. Not that it won’t work, it will - but it will too well.

If you ever have to remove it, you’ll be repainting the area you applied it to. It won’t scrape off and can’t be dissolved (at least by anything that leaves the paint intact.)

3M type weatherstrip adhesives are more than adequate to glue in rubber weatherstrip, and can be cleaned off if removed. The caveat is using the right type of adhesive depending on the type of rubber the seals are made of.

If the seals are made of regular rubber, 3M Super weatherstrip adhesive does the job. If the rubber is EPDM type rubber, you must use the regular 3M weatherstrip adhesive (non-Super.) The Super adhesive doesn’t stick well to EPDM rubber and peels off easily. The regular 3M holds them tight.

For the chrome A-pillar hockey sticks, the 3M adhesives worked well. However, I spent a lot of time getting the chrome to fit better. The previous owner used a enormous amount of a putty like substance to glue them on, and they still peeled off very readily.

The ball of putty in the middle represents about 1/3 of the amount I removed when I redid both chrome hockey sticks.

I learned about this suction clamp tool from another poster here. This was very important to get a tight fit when gluing the chrome on. After this, they’ve stayed on tight even after a 500 mile trip (80% at freeway speeds.)

Dave