Gone but not forgotten

After 13+ years of ownership I’ve just sold my X308:( Because of a lengthy period of poor health, she was parked up for a considerable amount of time and suffered the consequences. Still ran perfectly but the body had deteriorated quite a bit. Sold her to a collector of older cars who will do the requisite repairs and add her to his collection.

On the plus side, she’s been replaced by an 09 XJ (X358) LWB Sovereign, Liquid Silver with Warm Charcoal interior. Ex ministerial car which I purchased directly from H.M. Government.

I figured you would be back in the Jag-u-wah fold pretty quick. But you really need a supercharger, Gary!

Well Ross, this one has twin turbochargers and on a recent trip to the coast to visit my father, returned 48 miles per imperial gallon at a constant high speed ( can’t say exactly how fast 'cos Neil would definitely grass me up):slight_smile:

It’s a DIESEL, which now makes me totally non PC and persona non grata. It’s fortunate that Steve Swallow (Go LPG) isn’t on here anymore, he’d be apoplectic.

Hope you enjoyed the eclipse down by the lake.

Funniest thing I’ve read all year: “…which NOW makes me…persona non grata…!”

Ha ha ha. Still, coulda bin worse. It could’ve taken you twenty years instead of ten to catch on! Jack says that since you won’t need the powerfolds now, he’ll promise to swap his 19-year old transmission fluid if you wrap them up in fake taxi receipts and send them to Pennsylvania.

So what rock has Steve crawled under?

He’s about, but I think the lack of real techical challenges of late on the J-L Forum has caused him to go AWOL. He’s still alive and kicking and is probably busy with his day job along with his Steam Engine and other projects.
And regards speed I’m also tight lipped and zipped.
And BTW I know that the only reason you bought a diesel is that the market has hit the floor and the Ministry probably gave it to you for “next to nowt”!
Also it is Steve Sparrow!

Infamy, infamy, they’ve all got it in for me!! I’ll deal with the comments one at a time in order of politeness;

1. Ross, Neil has answered your question. I answered your question first because you are always so polite and respectful of your elders. Perhaps you could give Crespin a few pointers:-)

2. Neil, one swallow doesn’t make a summer. You’re correct, the car was a total steal.

3. Crespin, what happened? You were supposed to contact me when you were over here. I fasted for a week before your arrival but you didn’t call, I suppose having taken Pat to lunch at Goodwood (?) you couldn’t stump up for my refined tastes. When I sold the car on Sunday, I gave the new owner all the bits I had in the garage. Now I’m wondering if I gave him Jack’s mirrors too.

2 Likes

Yeah, sorry about that. Ended up chasing my own tail the last week. :frowning:

Well Pete, at your age it’s the only tail you’re gonna catch:-)

1 Like

Soooo true!..

Whoa! Gary’s back!
Glad to hear you are well.
I just sold my XJ8 VERY reluctantly after getting it going again. It is now in the hands of the guy who has taken over my works unit who wants to get it back to peak condition. It started on the button after lay up and the old Nikasil sounds really sweet. I will stay in touch (how sad).
So I move onto my DAIMLER V8 250 project (owned since 1973) which will be a car I can drive in Ireland were you are penalised by cc so the Jag was just to big. Dolly Daimler is tax free if it hits the road before I peg out. I have a California bodyshell to rebuild so no shot blasting required and I can unwrap all those stored parts out of the attic. I will move over to the other forum now. This forum has been a real help over the years so thanks for all the helpful advice. I will miss that J Gate which was a dream. Letting go now…
Best to all.
Freddy

Wow another long missed name has emerged. Welcome back to J-L even though you’ll be moving Forums for your project.

Good to hear from you Freddy.

The guy who bought my XJ collects ‘older’ cars and is going to do all that needs
to be done. I did have a slight lump in my throat when he drove it away but,
that’s to be expected after 13 years of ownership and it’s good to know that
it’s going to be used and well cared for.

Hope your rebuild goes smoothly and you enjoy many years of happy motoring.

All the best.

1 Like