Goodwood Revival 2022

Or, it’s being piloted by a superior spacer…:wink:

Ol’ Smokey might appreciate this thread…:laughing:

Not when it pulls 4 car lengths down the straight on a pack of Cobras….

From one who played the rulebook game…

Wah.

That’s how that particular game is played, my friend.

1 Like

I disagree. I think the Goodwood organizers have a strange habit of letting the odd car show up that hasn’t even bothered to play the rulebook game.

Like that ‘64 Fairlane that showed up a few years ago, stomped everything, and hasn’t been seen since.

It would be like the organizers of the Olympics inviting the occasional known ‘juicer’, and pretending he’s just having a really good season….at least just call it what it is.

That game, wrt to “historic” racing, aint done the same way as “real” racing: it’s about the insanely rich who back this type of competition

Their ball. Their playground. Their call.

Wah. It is what it is.

As I previously mentioned, Newey has been told before to pack up his toys ……. If he had won this time, who knows.

On a purely motor engineering point, I’d love to know how much of that advantage was power, and how much was chassis. As I watched the race unfold, I noted that Button was able to plant the throttle far earlier than the more powerful Cobras. Suggests to me the advantage was in the corners. Data logging would reveal whether Newey’s expertise in chassis design had found a critical edge. After all Newey designed the championship winning chassis for March (Indycars), Williams, Mclaren, and RedBull in F1. No one else comes close in designing a racing car.

1 Like

Hi Chris,

We noted the same thing and would like to add that as we (or my son) timed a few cars in other races it was interesting to see how in the St. Mary’s Trophy, which is not my favorite race, becuse of the huge differences in cars, that the same cars had in some cases 5-10 secs slower lap times when driven by their owners instead of the celeb racers, or vice versa like Nick Swift who was much faster in his own Mini and Rowan Atkinson who was much slower in his friend’s Plymouth Barracuda, but still got a big ovation after the race. :smiley:

Cheers!

Ps. But still kinda funny to watch 1300cc Minis chase the 7 litre Fords, the 1600cc Alfas were also competitive, but the 1800cc BMW TISA’s had nothimg to say, best 3.8 Jaguar MK2 was about 10th.

1 Like

So, for someone without insider knowledge, this Newey is a hotshot racecar designer? What might he have done to tweak his E-type to such a degree?

Adrian Newey is a very successful F1 aerodynamicist. Currently with Red Bull (Max Verstappen in first ) but overall successful with whichever team is lucky to have him.

1 Like

I also see Newey mentioned with chassis above. Is there much scope to improve the E-type without it being against the rules (or noticeable), and if so does anyone know what jiggery-pokery, skullduggery and general chicanery he’s been up to?

Skullduggery indeed. Newey’s previous indiscretion was, so I was told a few years ago, to bring PS1175 to a race meeting with a completely smoothed floor. He was searching for corner grip. The smoothed floor reduced drag, increasing air speed, which reduces pressure, and creates downforce ( or reduces lift). Or so the theory goes. Whether this was how the car was presented last weekend we may never know.

After the car had stopped the ‘amateur’ driver, actually Adrian Newey’s son Harry and quite an accomplished race driver himself, revealed he was nursing the car home rather than try and win by an embarrassing margin. In the replay he can be seen to come out of the chicane in third rather than second. Yet despite this, the drive train still broke

The rule for most of these mods is that if it had been tried in the day it would be permitted. For example, CUT7 carries a perspex rear hatch and several cars used side exhausts. Maybe one car was raced with a completely smoothed floor?

The shape of the bonnet certainly appears… tweaked!

I agree.
Can’t figure out what but it appears to be pushed down or have a lower profile by the bulkhead.

It’s also missing the chrome trim on the rear window: shameful! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Some years back I checked the car in the pits. The ride height was visibly lower than any other E-Type, judging by the angle of the top wishbone. Maybe this was enough to introduce ground effect.

Gotta keep the weight down !

1 Like

More generally, the standard of preparation of these cars was stunning. Several looked like they had never been driven before, let alone raced for over fifty years. Huge amounts of cash have been spent on keeping these historic cars going. Accidents, which happen less frequently than in other formulae do happen.

I know PS1175 has been in the tyre wall at Madgwick, I watched it as it lost a wheel when Bobby Rahal was at the controls. The damage would have required quite an extensive rebuild of the aluminium tub and bonnet. And as E-Types were famously hand fettled when built and there were several experimental bonnet designs (for example on the low drag cars), there would be plenty of scope to be creative with an accident inspired rebuild.

1 Like

Emphasis on cash, and let’s not forget ego… :wink:

I note one of Smokey Yunick’s mods was…"smoothed out the underside of the car for better aerodynamics, ". Nothing is ever as original as it seems.

1 Like

When I looked over PS1175 in the paddock it looked brand new without a blemish on it. I wish I had looked underneath now.

This is the engine in 951WK, the #22 dark blue FHC in the Stirling Moss race that had Jensen Button’s name on the side. Look at the pristine the porcelain on the manifolds !! When I looked they were playing with the carbs and it sounded like it had a “mean” cam in it. I guess it has come a a long way if this entry is for the same 951WK…XKE Data - 885801 - Jaguar E-Type (XKE) information, articles, photos and register

I took this photo in the car park for one person here that I thought might like it but I like the P6 too.

David
68 E-type FHC

5 Likes