Got a Lift... get one

I have worked professionally with 4 post and 2 post. The one I got was also from Greg Smith and is a asymetric 2 post. Vitually a copy of the Rotary. Installed myself. I knew where it was going to go so had an extra yard of concrete poured at each base. 2 post is the way to go unless you just want to use it for light work and storage. It goes high enough that I can walk under the yellow arms without having to stoop. A helpful hint is to have a electrical outlet box installed on the side. No use having to have extension cords all over the shop.

I found that the promise of pizza and Guinness (once the work is done) was enough to attract a crowd of willing help…

The Crew

You only need help setting the big pieces in place (8 big pieces on mine) then you can string the cables, etc. on your own time.

Before setting it up I had everyone sign in (including the FedEx guy who delivered it):

I see those signatures above me every time I pull in the garage.

Also helpful to have a large print version of the instructions where all can see (and add steps):

2 Likes

If you’d sold tickets to all that you could have defrayed most of the cost of the lift. :smiley:

Thanks for sharing the story.

2 Likes

I went the Bendpak route and am totally pleased. Only wish I had sprung for the rolling jacks from the start.

Best investment I’ve made when it comes to tools, 1 afternoon, forklift, wife and son as labor.

Hope I can move it to the new house or someone might be getting a deal when the time to move comes along.

I know, Right! And you’re welcome. If I can’t laugh at myself, then well everybody else would be. Or something like that.

I have the same situation (low ceiling height). Ended up installing a “MAX JAX” works perfect for everything I do…

https://www.maxjaxusa.com/?_vsrefdom=adwords&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIq9iS_8-e2AIVSC-BCh0OCgfuEAAYASAAEgLuZfD_BwE

That looks tidy. Wondering why they call it “portable”? It still has to be anchored in place right?

Any idea what the difference is between the basic model and the MJ-6 ? Is the identical package but with a warranty?

I wonder how long it would be before I smash a door into it. Not only is my garage short, it’s small also, single stall. :frowning:

I think this is very similar (or identical) to what Les bought (and made by the same company). Not sure though. It’s the only thing that I could use with my low ceiling height. My concern is the room they take up…I wouldn’t want to unbolt them between uses.

How much do they interfere with getting in the car when it’s parked between them. I would have to do that, as I already have four cars in a three car garage.

Economics 101…:grimacing:

And now, the precious darlin’ learns—maybe—about how the real world works!

… where’s the envy emoticon?

No kidding. And here I thought I was living large because I put a mini fridge in the basement next to the garage.

Well, my wife gave me a lift years ago. My shop is a Chevrolet dealer from the '20s. No issue with height, Best thing ever!

Bob,
All I do is remove the bolts from one leg and slide it off to the side.
That leaves plenty of room to use the place for other things. It’s been
dismantled for just about 6 months now, waiting to get the car back from
the body repairs. Hopefully very soon then the lift goes back in place for
final (hopefully) work.

I got the Direct Lift PP8s…from Shoptools? in Ontario Ca…$2095…delivery(1hr drive) and set up $600…Two strong guys showed up with it in the back of their large truck…CARRIED ! the parts in…2 hrs to set up…EZPZ

I have the MaxJax as well and although I have decent ceiling height in my garage I like the fact that I can either move the system out of the way or reposition it to another bay relatively easily. It fits everything from the E to my wife’s Audi Q7. You can’t stand straight up under it but a rolling chair works really well. It was a doodle to install the engine from below by myself.

I have no experience with other brands but am very happy with my Bend Pac 4poster. I was able to unload and install it with the help of my som but a third person would be helpful for some tasks as the runways are pretty heavy. The columns on mine are 84inches high so it would fit in an 8 foot garage. I find it makes so many things much easier and it is so nice to no longer have to crawl on the cold concrete. Canadian winters and all that. My decision to go with 4 post had to do with percieved safety plus the ability to easily use it for storage with the addition of a few sheets of plywood across the runways. I did purchase the drip trays and bridging jack support but would not do so again. They are not worth the price. I would fabricate them myself

Whe building a new house with the garage I had always wanted, I knew I wanted to install a lift but had a low garage ceiling height problem due to building code restrictions. The ceiling height was sufficient to store two stacked cars on a BendPak 4 poster but was not sufficient to raise a car to a height where one could stand up straight when working under the car on the lift.

My solution was to drop the floor…I had a 3 x 3 x 10 foot grease pit put into the floor, centered under where the lift was installed so that I can stand up straight under a lifted car…bottom line I can store two stacked cars, or stand up while working on a lifted car in a garage with a 9-10 foot ceiling height.

Obviously this is an easy solution when building from scratch…but jack hammering out a piece of floor slab to create a pit may well be easier than raising the roof of an existing garage.

Cheers and Merry Christmas
Steve

I am considering in getting a lift. I have a few questions about required height.
I would like to be able to keep a car on the lift and be able to store one under.
The height of the garage ceiling is about 11’. There is a 10” wide support cross
beam that is only 9’4” which is the lowest part of the ceiling. This beam is not
centered in the garage. From the inside of the garage door it is about 14’ back.
This would probably put it over the hood of vehicle. Any help or direction would
be appreciated.

you dont need a tall ceiling if you have a roadster. simply put the top down and lift the car with the windshield between the rafters. worked for me.

I am seriously out leagued here. Where’s the forum for the owner of too many clapped out Jags? :smile:

1 Like