Got a Lift... get one

I have a back and knees, that will attest to that…

How level does the floor have to be for the max jack. Do you have standard 4 inch concrete under it?

(raises hand)

See, the difficulty is getting the old heap back together enough, so that I can move it out of the way, to have some one come in and install the lift.

I concur with Wiggles! Though I am pretty good with my dirty dick beaters; but couldn’t wrap my head around Jaguar engineering. I was afraid I’d screw up my car. As one of the members pointed out, you can’t break your car any worse.

With the help of all the blokes in this forum, I’ve taken on suspension ball joints & bushes, oil leaks, head gaskets, transmission shifting issues, fixing Previous Owners F ups, traced down vacuum leaks and electrical (window and sun roof) issues, Intermittent starter issues, ignition problems, brakes, master cylinders, power brake boosters, and the list goes on. Since I’ve been a member of this band of Jaguar loving misfits, I’ve gone from owning 2 Jaguars to owning 7. My future ex wife says I have a problem… (chirping of crickets)

In a few short years, I’ve gone from a members who’s always seeking help, to being able to share my experiences and successes with other members. Jump in the members of this forum are here to catch you when you fall.

With regard to Jaxmax, If it were me, I’d get a lift that I can stand under. For me, that’s the point of having a lift is so I can work standing up, rather than on my back. The Jaxm ax has a max lift of 4 feet, which is high enough to drop an IRS/IFS, or a transmission. Unless you’re 3 feet tall or a knuckle dragger with 36" arms you’ll still be on your back wrenching, Strike the previous sentences. I’m sure there are other factors such as girth that may find the jaxmax appealing. I think I better stop.

Before purchasing any lift stationary or mobile, measure your space, Think about why you want a lift. Closely review the installation instructions BEFORE YOU PURCHASE. Most lifts have PDF’s of the site (lift) requirements as well as the installation instructions.

As Andrew_Waugh pointed out in this thread about a lift, it’s much nicer to walk under the car to your tool box to get a tool, than slide out under the car, get off the creeper, get up walk over get the wrong wrench, slide under the car, verify you have the wrong wrench, then repeat these steps until the proper wrench is identifed

Dont forget the wheely office chair…if you can only raise your car 4ft then you can scoot around…no walking to get that extra spanner…

I too have a four post lift from ? equipment. All has been said about the reasons for getting a two or four post lift, so I won’t dwell on that.
However, I want to share a recently discovered quality issue. An issue that will not render the lift inoperable, but may identify itself by the lift getting noisy, especially when raising the car. The lift has 10 pullies to guide the steel cables and the issue is the these pullies have nylon bushings. Even with sufficient greasing, the four pullies that sits at each of the four track ends where the cables turn 90 degrees from the posts to go under the track, all bushings are shot, resulting in the pully to wobble on the pin. One more pully is now sitting at an angle causing a scraping noise what the lift is operated.
At $56 Each for new pullies, I have decided to replace the nylon bushings with bronze equivalent ($8 each), which should last my lifetime. All I need is is for the local mashine shop to get an opening so they can turn the pullies to fit the outer diameter of the bushings.

Cheers … Ole

Yep, some of us are struggling to feed our cats !!!

I actually had 6" slab… used the epoxy anchors, had no issues. I do not have the specs on the slope, but you should be able to find that online. JS

It is on their web site. I was looking at it yesterday but don’t recall the spec. I do recall the floor need not be level; important since many garage floors have a slope to them for drainage.

MaxJax is a 4” slab and 3degree slope.

https://www.maxjaxusa.com/requirements

the floor could be ground down or built up. although I can not recall the name of product, I have witnessed thousands of steel columns using this leveling product to get them plumb.

Concrete grout. Twenty characters…

1 Like

no, it is a product designed just for this purpose. concrete itself would have too large of an aggregate and very little strength trowelled that thin. it is an epoxy and ‘appears’ similar to thinset but has higher bond and compressive strength.

yeah, but a good part of the reason I do this stuff is to force myself to stretch, to lift, to strain, to just keep active so that my 65-year-old body doesn’t turn to mush. Because of my advancing years I’ve just now purchased a creeper as a sop to my deteriorating back and knees.

I think I’ll wait till I’m 70 to get a lift.

If you wait that long…you’ll be older than 70…:wink:

Oh, the one thing I forgot to mention, the lift is was my wife’s Christmas present (3 years ago). She constantly bitched about Jags in the driveway. Problem solved. Merry Christmas

Is there an advantage to the asymetric arms for lifting an E type? I don’t have a space problem. Kevin

Just put in a Bendpak in our new shop, and I cannot say how sweet it is to be doing brakes on old Jaguars standing up and not lying on the floor. Also put in-floor heat so can stand all day without the old feet getting cold. A good quality two post is probably the best tool you can put in a workshop, but we have the advantage of a rafter ceiling with 18ft centre height. Highly recommended - have been waiting for this for some years!!

Although the floor does not need to be level, the lift does need to be vertical. The two post lift I got came with an assortment of leveling spacers. I have a 3 degree slope for drainage so had to use some of them to get it vertical. That is for a 2 post lift.

With a non asymmetric lift, you can put the vehicle facing front or back. With the Asymmetric, you usually put it in one direction but have the advantage of the bulk of the car being behind the posts so you can work on the car with the doors open. After looking at both, I could see no advantage to a non asymmetric lift. https://tinyurl.com/yaflepvb is an article on the difference from the people that I got my lift from.