Got back after a struggle

Sorry developer, but I can see no reason why should have gone to all this trouble to revamp the whole thing. It worked fine before in my opinion.

Nevertheless, I know from coding myself to know how much work is involved so thank you for your unsung efforts.

The problem I hit was that my old password was shorter than now insisted upon. However, I used the procedure kindly indicated by Neil and now I am in. Trying into get used to it all. I used to log in separately for X300 and XJ40 though. Now seems just to log in on the home page.

I still think X300 and X308 should not be in the same section. The engines are of course totally different

Good that we can edit now… if it worked. Can’t see how to do that. Or to set notifications on/off. No doubt I’ll find out

Have a look here for instructions:

https://forums.jag-lovers.com/c/user-guides-and-how-tos

Thanks Andrew but couldn’t find it there. Also, I note that once in, I seem to be in without any passwords. Presumably until I end the computer session (switch off)?

Just tried edit again. Working now. Seems that I can only edit if I haven’t left the site… No? apparently not (just came back). Must have been finger trouble before!

Alan,

I’m not quite sure what “it” you are referring to. The guides section covers most of the basic questions raised so far (including how to edit a post). If you have a concrete question I would be pleased to write a guide, or you can write one yourself and send it to me via the Private message function.

“New” users are put in a sandbox initially, so you may find you cannot write more than a certain number of posts initially, not to worry, just have a look about and get used to the new interface. Only a few users have actually noticed the sandbox at all.

OK Andrew! I’ve got edit working now. No doubt you are the author of all this work, so despite my reservation (older user: grumble grumble… why change…? strokes grey and oil stained beard) I know you must have spent many hours on it. I am rapidly getting used to it

I just wrote a few of the guides, @Nick and @gunnar did the heavy lifting on the migration.

There were a few technical issues on the old platform, amongst other things the inability to create new model forums. This was discussed various times in Pub.

It seems a bit disorienting at first, but most users pick it up relatively quickly (after a brief period of grumbling and beard stroking).

I’ve created a scratch topic in each category so people can try out the various new features (like editing, adding pictures and videos) so go have a bash at it.

I am quite pleased at how quickly people started using pictures in threads… it certainly makes remote troubleshooting a lot simpler, and the “I found this thing in my box of parts, where does it go?” questions become trivial.

Yeh! And the edit posts is a godsend. Many a time I tried to do that to correct something I had wrong, and was frustrated that I couldn’t.

But a quick question. I have just tried switching off my computer entirely, switching on again and I seem to be able get into the site without any formality such as a password. So are members logged in permanently once in? Is there any harm in that or should they log out in some way at the end of a session?

The logging on automatically is done by your end, depending on how you’ve set your browser up. Pretty much a matter of personal choice for your home computer, but years of working in IT trained me to logoff whenever I left the keyboard. Here is a guide: