Got my YOM plates approved

Long story, Colorado auto licensing statutes are confusing and contradictory. When I applied for registration at the county clerk’s office I was told I had 3 choices, regular, classic (at least 25 YO) or horseless carriage (at least 50 YO), the only difference between classic and horseless carriage being age qualification and cost, except horseless carriage did not require emissions testing. While waiting for tags to arrive I got a letter from the DMV saying emissions test was required. Called the clerk’s office, said none required. Called DMV, they said emissions test was required and also indicated the driving restrictions you cited. I asked what was the emissions standard for a 54 year old car. After several phone transfers (and days) was given a standard, but was told it would pass even if it exceeded the standard. Statute internet research found conflicting requirements, probably due to statute revisions. In the meantime the tags arrived, rendering the emissions test issue moot. As to the driving restrictions, I queried a Ft Collins police officer and his response was he did not know if there were driving restrictions, but offered that there was not a police officer in the state that would bother to cite the restrictions. A state trooper had the same take, amplifying that if a citation was issued and contested, the officer would have to research the stated destination, and show that it violated the ill defined requirements.

And I still have 10 months to go on the VT tags😋

Rod

True deal: Colorado’s laws on this are not clear.

Nonetheless, being in possession of a CDL, I wasn’t going to try my luck.

Where I live, no emissions test is required, so Margaret just sports standard Colorado mountain tags.

According to the CA DMV: “YOM plates must be authentic as originally issued…” They must be “serviceable” and approved by DMV Headquarters (Sacramento). And “plates may be restored but not replicated.”

You can find several online merchants that will make a new YOM plate, and they look indistinguishable from a restored one. My DMV branch took photos of my unrestored plates and original sticker and sent them to HQ for approval. I even wrote on the form that I intended to restore the plates if approved. Had the sticker been affixed to the plate, they probably would have approved it. But being the sticklers they are for the rules, we are now playing a version of Simon Says.

At the end of the day, I can’t blame them. I imagine they get dozens of people trying to scam them every day. Just part of the price for living in paradise… :wink:

I have personally never come across a US-based vendor who will make a replica plate out of steel…although I haven’t looked all that hard.

However, I do know of a guy in Germany who makes replica steel plates that are absolutely superb. I’ve held one in my hands, with its restored original twin, and they were indistinguishable.

I’m still waiting the for the Pennsylvania antique tag for my car. I’d never even hear of YOM plates until I saw this thread. As it happens, here in PA, I can buy an old plate and use it on my car. I’ll start looking.

It seems that these plates need the original sticker to be approved…these appear to be new stickers is that not important if the year is correct??

Hey that is funny!!!

My sticker is new, as I said.

I believe the letter of the law is that the sticker be original, but I’ve had about 5-6 sets of YOM plates approved with reproduction stickers.

Some people will swear that the plate’s ‘ABC’ sequence also needs to be “correct” to the car’s YOM, but I’ve also never had an issue with that either. My ‘IES’ sequence would have probably been issued in about ‘64, depending on where it was issued.

My sticker is original.
The DMV took a photocopy of it and the clerk noted its “serial number” on the application form, but I’m not sure they actually did any kind of check on it.

That’s the “problem” with the repro stickers….they all have the same serial number.

But, as I say, I’ve never had an issue with them.