Grand Circle Oil Leak under way

Can’t say enough about the usefulness of the wing-mounted ones: not many like the positioning.

Denise and I arrived home @ 6:30 pm Saturday evening (driving our Lexus NX200T) because my motor was making unfriendly sounds on the Sunday morning we were leaving. I sent a recording of my engine noise to my engine builder (Dick Maury) yesterday and he said it sounds like I lost a piston ring or two. Scheduling to remove it and ship it back for inspection and repair sometime soon. You can listen to it here…

I’m sorry John, what a PITA!
It was sure good to see you and meet Denise, you obviously made a good decision to drive the Lexus…
Kindest regards,
LLynn

2 Likes

Yes, good decision to drive the Lexus. I was going to have to take our SUV if I couldn’t get the Jag ready to go. Barely made it! Really enjoyed visiting with you and Denise.

–Drew

1 Like

Drew,
You did an amazing job getting your car back together so fast and it looked fantastic! We enjoyed getting to know you and Mary better too. Best regards,

1 Like

I had considered taking the Alfa on the trip because the E type trans was in such bad shape. Would have been a bad decision. The Alfa sits so low as do tires and wheels it would have never survived the trip. Before I go to get gas or enter any parking lot have to survey the angle of approach. The E seems like a 4x4 compared to the Alfa.
Glenn

1 Like

Here are the shots we took for the back of the pack - check out the last one I think that is the rock that destroyed David’s wheel.

1 Like

Yes. That’s it. When I hit it it was further to the right, and probably somewhat larger. The remains skittered across the road causing Geo (who was right behind me) and others to have to move even further to the left to avoid them. If you zoom in, you can see my car, plus two or 3 others pulled over on the shoulder in the distance. Nice photos, John.

-David

1 Like

Looks like you guys had fun, despite the occasional rock and rain.

Looks like your Lexus may have straddled the rock to get past it – not an option with the E-Types.

1 Like

Compression check to see if rings are intact ?

Patrick
'66 fhc

Patrick,
Step one is to check the plugs for oil, next to inspect the cylinders with a borescope for damage or pieces of a ring. Compression test makes sense too I suppose.

Let us know what you find, John. Given the evidence it seems like the ring theory is likely.

–Drew

Will do Drew… I’ll probably start a new thread once I receive the borescope I ordered two days ago. Amazon USB unit - I hope it’s good enough to see what I need to see.

Do you see oil / smoke spitting out one the exhaust pipes ! It sounded like a smooth idle with exception of clicking sounds. Any metal in oil filter ?

Patrick
'66 fhc