Greetings - a long term Jaguar owner with a new toy

Hi, just thought I would say hi to the group because I am now deep in unknown territory:

I have owned my Series 1 Etype for nigh-on 40 years and did a full nut and bolt restoration in my home workshop, it took 10 years but i learned a lot of skills along the way. I then rebuilt a 1935 Riley Special for competition use which is now on the road (albeit not quite finished) and then last weekend, I popped round to see a fellow Etype Owner and in his garage I saw a very dismantled ‘old Jaguar’ which i soon learned was a 1946 SS-Jaguar/Mk4. The owner said it had been there since 1975 which accounted for the thick dust overcoat it was wearing and I said it needed to be on the road but he said he doubted it would ever get done. So after looking round the car and at all the parts he had removed and stored - I made him an offer which he accepted and the elegant beauty is now mine.

UK Car
Matching numbers
1946 3.5Ltr
Understood to be all original mechanically
In Storage since 1975
Needs a ton of work…

I am sure it will polish out :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Congratulations! There is nothing like getting the blood pumping again. Post a pic when you get it out of the garage.

Now that’s what I would call a project car!
Yes please post some more pictures when you pull it out of the garage so we can get a closer look at the old girl.

Hello Chris, looks like you will have a lot of hands-on fun on this new project. It appears you already are among the Whitworth Wanderers and understand the service manual clarity of “Reassembly and refitting is the reverse of the above procedure.” If you don’t already have them, immediate benefits will be obtained by having service manuals, spare parts catalogues, and owners manuals. While it is good to have these in paper form, they also are in electronic pdf file format.

Also of considerable benefit are the stored threads of advice over the years among these forums. Learning good search techniques will reveal many treasures for your project.

And feel free to post your questions. Getting opinions here has been a great help to me over the years.

1 Like

Whitworth Wanders :slight_smile: i like that…

I have the service manual and Rob very kindly mailed the Parts manual to me. The owners manual would be helpful if some kind sole can point me in the right direction of where to find it.

I do know I have a fair amount of panel restoration to do first. The chassis looks fine its mostly the rear inner wheel arches, spare wheel tray oh and the sills… the mechanics I will sort later although having a running engine would be helpful to move the old girl about

Hi,

Me too!

And it reminds me of the Wolverhampton Wanderers (FC) :smiley:

I recently rebuilt a 1947 MKIV 3 1/2 Litre engine that’s been in my 1950 MKV DHC for at least four decades, if not six. Just as Roger suggested the search function is your friend and no thread is too old to be resurrected. :+1:

Cheers!

1 Like

Hello Chris
I have also been involved in the total restoration of an MK V, 2.5, Saloon, 1950 for a number of years. I am currently disassembling the same model as a parts donor. I wish you a lot of enthusiasm and patience when looking for any missing parts. If you still need parts, feel free to contact me, I might have the parts you need.
Greetings from Switzerland
Gerhard

Many thanks Gerhard,
As much as the previous owner says the car is complete - it is likely he has lost a piece or two over the last 40 years so you never know I may reach out to you for ‘something’ :slight_smile:
I have just bought the book “SS & Jaguar Cars” by Allan Crouch as it looked to contain a decent amount of information about the cars.