Grinding noise when starting my 67 e-type

Hi All, I have a 1967 e type that is having a nasty grinding sound when its just about to start.

I first noticed the problem several weeks ago when I got in the car and attempted to start the engine as I normally would, I pressed the starter and it started turning the engine as it normally would but did not start, I waited a few seconds and tried to start it again…it turned over several times and then as the engine started there was a brief grinding noise just as the engine started, the engine continued to run as it should and I took it for a short drive as I normally do and retuned it to the garage as hoping that noise was just a one off occurrence,

Well today I attempted to start the engine and the same problem reappeared however this time it turned over several times with no problem then I had the sense it was just about to start but the grinding noise briefly occurred and I took my finger off the starter button to avoid any damage.

It appears the starter can theoretically turn the engine over and over and over and overwith no problem or grinding noises but the grinding happens just as the engine is about to ignite and start running.

Now I don’t exactly know how this should correctly work but my sense is the starter gear that turns the flywheel may be designed to retract away from the flywheel when the engine starts and the reason this grinding noise happens is because the starter has a defect and the gear on the starter is not pulling away as the engine starts to turn at normal rpm and hence the grinding I hear is the flywheel and starter motor gear having inappropriate contact.

Does this make any sense and should I replace my starter to try and resolve this problem or should I look for a problem elsewhere?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Mark

I think you have an issue with your starter. The starting gear is flinging out to engage the flywheel teeth but not retracting quickly enough. If it’s stock, it might simply need to be removed and disassembled, cleaned, and a bit of oil put on the mechanism. If it’s not stock…who knows? It could be the same problem, or could be a mismatch. There have been several people with gear reduction starters reporting noise.

1 Like

Another possibility is that the starter has begun to work loose from the bell housing. Check to see if the bolts that hold it on are loose.

1 Like

The 4.2l car’s starter is different from the earlier cars. The solenoid is attached to a lever that forces the drive into engagement with the flywheel. It is retracted with a spring when the solenoid is demagnetized. I suspect dirt, maladjustment or a failing solenoid.

1 Like

There is also a One Way clutch in the starter drive. This could be slipping or stuck. Mine was cracked and needed replacement. Best to investigate before you damage something. Car should start right up, without a lot of cranking.
Might be a good time to check the choke and ignition settings.

This thread on starters is useful if you decide to replace your starter. I particularly like the starter that came from SNG.

So Let Me Get This Starter Question Right

Firstly many thanks to all who responded and for the great info. I really appreciate it.

I think my next step is to get under the car and investigate the starter and , depending on what I find I may likely get a rebuilt starter, the car does not have its original engine. I purchased it 2.5 years ago from a well known vintage Jag dealer-restorer in Calif, he told me at the time his shop rebuilt the engine and did additional restoration work so I may check back with him to see if he can shed light on what starter was used when that was done so I have all the facts. To be continued …

Thanks again to all!

If you put it up on stands to check it out, make sure to disconnect the battery cable before messing around with a wrench around the starter. There was a Peter Egan column in R&T where he told some garage horror stories, and one had a guy who was tightening up starter bolts and accidentally shorted out to the hot lead, causing the starter to fire. The car was in gear and jumped off the jack stands, landing on the guy nearly killing him.

2 Likes

I had a sound very similar…misaligned starter…try adjusting the bolts just a bit to charge side to side alignment

As with most noises, get a length of hose to use as a stethscope and use it to isolate/confirm that the noise is coming from the starter. A visual inspection is going to be tough unless you find something obvious like one of the 2 attachment bolts totally loose. If you get serious about an inspection you should remove the air filter canister.

I have a '65 XKE. I had to replace my flywheel ring gear because teeth had been grinded off in places. That’s probably why I got the car for cheap, haha. I just did an engine rebuild and the starter will sometimes grind. I read the electrical books and here is my understanding about how the solenoid works: When you initially hit the start button the solenoid will pull its lever and push the starter gear forward…It will ALSO energize the starter a little to allow the gear to slip into the teeth of the ring gear. ONLY THEN should the solenoid allow full power to the starter to crank the flywheel. Well, if your starter is “grinding” it may be that the solenoid is allowing to fully crank the starter before the gear can slowly engage the ring gear. Right??? I have found that short of removing the starter (what a pain), one can first hit the starter button real fast and you will hear a “clunk”. This allows the gear to align with the ring gear. Then, you again push the starter button and the solenoid gear will correctly engage the ring gear and crank the engine without all the grinding. Is this “kicking the can” down the road?? YES. But it works, haha, without pulling the starter out of the car and repairing the reason why the solenoid isn’t doing it job correctly. My question to the group is this: How do you get the solenoid to do its job correctly? i.e. it isn’t slowly turning the engine as it is engaging the ring gear, and THEN putting the starter on full power to crank the engine. Or am I just crazy?

I accidentally bridged a wrench to the starter terminal on my first E-type, and it welded itself to the terminal. It didn’t actuate the starter thankfully, but it goes without saying, it almost required a new pair of underwear.

I still have the wrench in my tool box, and every time I see the scar from the arc, it’s a good reminder to disconnect batteries.

Thank you for this reminder. The older I get, now 73, the easier it is for me to forget to do something (like disconnect the battery) that in younger years I never would have forgotten. I could just see this happening to me now when I’m rushing through a project…