H8 Carburetters

Hello John.
The point was made re the Le Mans “C” photo where you can observe
Jaguars early change of breather position. At Le Mans 4000/6000
Rpm will be attained for long periods of course so no need to spin the dynamo more than required. This may have applied to the water pump
as well. I did utilize 4000/6000 Rpm in the late 60s, but not for 24 hrs! so no prob with the breather although I will weld in some attachment points, rear of the cam covers, to connect to a catch tank for possible track day use, if that final "Finish Line" does not arrive first! On which note I am off to the workshop, where I shall, light the woodburner, turn on the radio and continue with adjustments to the front suspension on my 120,and, and if it arrives on the airwaves, I will SHOUT along to " Becks" latest “Dear Life”(i`m holding on), anthem
for all us “Oldies” methinks! Cheers.
Peter B
BTW notice the Flip Top oil filler on the “C”
Here is my version.

Very nice. My oil filler is very hard to remove when the motor is hot. I have to nudge it with the spinner hammer. The flip top looks like a better solution. On our highways cruising rpm is around 3500-4000. Plus I trend to go up to redline often. I’m getting a fair amount of output from the breather (yes the baffle is in correctly and the motor has new ‘professionally’ installed pistons and rings). Thus my question about breathers.

I also like the lifting brackets. It’s one of a very few things I liked about my E-Type, and may put on my xk .

John," your highways cruising at 3500-4000"!
Are you in Germany, or do you run a high number diff?
My engine is installed 10 degrees off vertical, hence the position
of the lift brackets, with the engine vertical I prefer the earlier brackets.
Peter B.

Here in New England the middle lane on the highway goes 75mph and the left lane typically move at 80 or so. In Vermont on the way home from British Invasion I was in a convoy of SUV’s doing 85mph for nearly an hour.
John

John

peterjb peter balls
January 20 |

John," your highways cruising at 3500-4000"!
Are you in Germany, or do you run a high number diff?
My engine is installed 10 degrees off vertical, hence the position
of the lift brackets, with the engine vertical I prefer the earlier brackets.
Peter B.

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

In Reply To

John
January 20 |

Very nice. My oil filler is very hard to remove when the motor is hot. I have to nudge it with the spinner hammer. The flip top looks like a better solution. On our highways cruising rpm is around 3500-4000. Plus I trend to go up to redline often. I’m getting a fair amount of output from the breathe…
Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

Very nice an Enotts filler? I would have thought that on C TYpes [ and D and E types] it would have been more convenient at pit stops with the filler ear the rear of the cam cover i.e nearer the opened end of the bonnet.

Roger, you may have seen, but if not!
This interesting article re Lucas horns under the heading
(Lucas High Frequency Horn HF 1748 on Jaguars 1953-61)
includes some “C” type underbonnet shots.

Not sure if the photo is period.
Peter B.

Thanks Peter.

Its a recent photo of XKC045, and post restoration, so not a reliable ‘authenticity’ reference re certain detail.

Roger

Yes Roger.
My intention was to post the period `51 shot, showing the 1 3/4 carbs, that no doubt you already have.
Peter B.

Peter, yes please.
I have very very little on the 1951 C-types, so any more underbonnet photos would be great.
What I have so far only shows bits and pieces of the puzzle.

Roger

Roger ,
No obvious extra breathers, and note what appears to be two engine
mounts on the air collector!
Peter B.

that joggle on the firewall seems to come and go.

The firewall on the first three cars (001, 002, 003) was steel. The next car built was chassis 011, with the firewall done in aluminum. That aluminum firewall continued with chassis 012, 004 and so on through production. On those early cars we see reinforcing ribs in the steel firewall. Not sure why? Maybe structural rigidity?
The photo below is from 1951. You can see the William Mills cast head with siamesed plug wells and “smooth” valve covers. 1 3/4 carbs present. At this time the front breather is being used, but that moves to a breather coming off the oil filler neck eventually, before being relocated again on the front right cam cover in 1952.

If you place your cursor on the the photo you will see the car is stated
as XKC002.
Peter B.

Many thanks.
That is exactly the type of photo I am looking for - top down, and confirms a William Mills casting of head, and also the H6 carburetters, not H8 (which SU had yet to be make in June 1951).
So that’s a big help.
Still looking for a good detail shot of the actual H6 carbies themselves - detail is lost in most blow up.

Let’s get nerdy: I have not thought of this related to automobiles, but In my work with designing large machinery drive trains, I have to watch load inertia. Torque=Inertia x acceleration . So an increase in inertia willl require an equal increase in torque to maintain the same acceleration, or it will reduce the acceleration to balance the equation. But inertia goes up by the gear ratio squared. So, if crankshaft speed at 600 rpm results a genny speed of 400 rpm, the crank to armature ratio is 1.5 :1. If I put a larger pulley on the generator and slow it down to 200 rpm, the ratio is 3:1 . the inertia has been reduced though by (1.5/3)E2 =25% or a reduction of load inertia by 75%. That is also the amount of reduction of the torque required to accelerate the generator as engine speed changes. This has nothing to do with torque to drive the charging function, just the torque required to accelerate or slow down the engine. It is the same effect as lightening the flywheel).

1 Like

Hi Roger
I forgot about the photos! The engine is tested and awaiting collection. I’ll take some detailed photos today.
Best Regards
Nigel boycott

G’day Nigel,
Been away for a couple weeks.
Any progress on photos.
If its easier, send direct to: rogerpayne@bigblue.net.au

thanks,
Roger :grinning: