Halogen or LED bulbs

(Timothy M Fox) #1

Hello friends,

Has anyone had any success fitting halogen or LED bulbs into the headlights and fog lamps of either a MKV or MKIV? Positive earth polarity.

Best wishes,
Tim

(Ed Nantes) #2

I’ve known people [ nearhhere] who had issues with the halogen heat affecting the silver plating on the reflector. On Mk IV the issue is not really so much more brightness, but more accurate focus. Most of us compromise a little between a good high beam and good low beam.

(Denis Foxley) #3

I have just fitted LEDs to my Mark 4 headlamps, to enable me to drive at night without the worry of flattening the battery. I found that BA20D (double contact) bulbs will work in the original BA20S bulb holder on P100s and FT57/8 foglamps. There are many bulbs on offer, mostly made in China, and the ones I bought are very effective, giving a bright concentrated beam similar to the original bulbs. I have heard others say that they couldn’t get them to focus, but have not found that. I had to do a long journey down unlit country lanes and they gave a very good light with the ammeter never going into minus territory.

Denis

(Peter Scott) #4

Hi Denis,

I couldn’t find B20Ds for positive earth. Did you track some down?

Peter

(Denis Foxley) #5

Hi Peter,

Sorry, I forgot to mention that I had converted both my cars to negative earth some time ago. There are no downsides apart from originality, and it makes it much easier for plugging modern accessories such as satnavs into the cigar lighter.

Regards,

Denis

(Peter Scott) #6

Hi Denis,

Me too! http://www.nostalgiatech.co.uk/LED%20Lighting.htm
It’s just that Tim specified positive earth.

Peter

(Denis Foxley) #7

Hi Peter,

Yes, he did say that. I have also replaced the sidelights and some of the flashers with LEDs, but haven’t yet got round to the rears.

Denis

(ARTIEFARTY) #8

I bought some yellow LED bulbs years ago that I dismantled and saw that the polarity could be reversed. Are the BA20D bulbs similarly internal wired?

Art

(Peter Scott) #9

Well on the type I used you can see the connections so with some delicate soldering and a little added wire you could reverse them but it would be much easier to simply reverse your battery.

Peter

(Denis Foxley) #10

I don’t know if the polarity can be reversed in the LEDs. I forgot to mention in my original reply that I had already converted both my cars to negative earth thus removing any issues when using modern polarity-conscious accessories.

Denis

(Paul Wigton) #11

Agreed: with a generator, it’s a doddle to so.

(Timothy M Fox) #12

An interesting and promising reply from Duncan at Classic Car LED’s in the UK after sending him the response from Dennis.

"Hello Duncan,

I put out my question on a Jag online forum and this was the response which I hope makes sense to you.

“I have just fitted LEDs to my Mark 4 headlamps, to enable me to drive at night without the worry of flattening the battery. I found that BA20D (double contact) bulbs will work in the original BA20S bulb holder on P100s and FT57/8 foglamps. There are many bulbs on offer, mostly made in China, and the ones I bought are very effective, giving a bright concentrated beam similar to the original bulbs. I have heard others say that they couldn’t get them to focus, but have not found that. I had to do a long journey down unlit country lanes and they gave a very good light with the ammeter never going into minus territory.”

This was his response:

"Thank you Tim,

I’ve checked with our development team and they are currently working on and hopefully nearly finished the BA20D which will have the same base as a standard bulb and also excellent beam patterns. The beam pattern tests are attached for reference. We hope to have these in production in January.

We’re attempting to make them not polarity sensitive. If that does not work then we’ll do both versions as we have a lot of customers with positive earth cars.

Kind regards

Duncan"

Duncan Rickards

www.classiccarleds.co.uk