Hammered on BAT

104.5 K
Beautiful 69 OTS.

1 Like

Nice. Missing chrome pieces between tail lights and bodywork.
That is a major ā€œmissā€ !

Iā€™m wondering where the decline of E pricing is. This seems to be pretty strong for a #2 condition Series 2. Very nice car IMHO. I wouldnā€™t toss it out of the garage.

Maybe S2ā€™s are finally blossoming? Nah !!!

Nice color combo and car.

To me, that steering wheel looks ridiculously small.

Also, whatā€™s with the tachometer about 2/3 the way through the drive when he revs it flying from like 2500-3K to 5K in a blink of an eye? Itā€™s like it just flips up to that rpm.

Sounds reasonable. Im sure current owners wonā€™t agreeā€¦:grimacing:

I took the title word ā€œhammeredā€ to mean the auction hammer had closed on the auction.

Dave

Ah, it sold for over $100K.

John the tach has the Petronix bounce. They replaced the points with the Petronix Hall effect sensor. Tachs do that. Send it out for mod or live with it.

My 69 has Petronix. I have not seen this phenomenon.

Well, I wouldnā€™t sell mine for that muchā€¦ and I wouldnā€™t get that much for it either.

So yeah, probably about right.

1 Like

I sold my Series II on BAT on advice of someone hereā€¦ having never really explored the concept, I actually liked the whole process a lot, and thought it was fair, and represented the market better than the brick and mortar auction house alternatives.

1 Like

I was thrilled to see the final result. And I like my sexy coupe lines. Never say never but my completed extremely detailed resto probably wonā€™t ever leave the familyā€¦

Wish Iā€™d gotten into this hobby MUCH sooner.

3 Likes

Neither on my 63. 20 characters

I was pleased with this result too. This was a color change (perhaps for the better) nice #2 car that proved to me that I may not have spent too much on my 1971 OTS restoration.

Bring me more like that please.

What Iā€™ve seen on BaT is that an E thatā€™s had a rotisserie restoration brings the money. Perhaps not as much as it did. But is an S2 really worth $150k? Perhaps Iā€™m stating the obvious. But as many of us have discovered the best way to own an E type is to let someone else do all the hard work!

Iā€™m completely confused about actual values on these cars, any series, and that includes the XK. Iā€™m seeing some serious crap work or in need of work being offered at staggeringly high prices, but of course I donā€™t know whatā€™s actually being paid for the cars to change hands. One thing for sure, a car or two auctioned off is no measure of actual market value or trend prediction.

Iā€™m wondering if the final sale of this car is pending on a personal inspection, it should be.

Interesting question, it isnā€™t supposed to be that way but I suspect that one could inspect the car as they were paying for it and if not as represented withhold payment. I suspect they would loose the BAT feeā€™s they paid but even that could be protested with adequate evidence that the car was mis-represented. That being said, I wonder how many cars on BAT have a PPI or even a visit by the buyer prior to purchase, Iā€™ll bet itā€™s a very small percentage. YMMV
Cheers,
LLynn

My experience in the brick and mortar as well as any other auction venue is that you do your due diligence before you raise your hand, not after you accidentally win the item and suffer buyers remorse. So why wouldnā€™t the same rules apply for for BaT.

I sold only one car on BaT, and because it was a six figure + sale, the lead bidders all did their homework either in person or by proxy with me directly. What you see in the public message section of a BaT listing are the cheerleaders or interested bystanders / tire kickers, not necessarily the real bidder story. The ā€˜contact sellerā€™ button is the real due diligence ā€˜cabbageā€™ button, and only the seller and the bidding party are privy to those side discussions.

BaT is an interesting concept; - a work in progress, and like the rise of Amazon and such, will definitely leave itā€™s mark on the brick and mortar 20th century approach to auctioning as it evolves. Just ask Sears who initially owned the entire retail mailing list to north America for itā€™s catalogues and ignored the online social jewel to the end.

1 Like

Tā€™was, to the buyer!

All this game needsā€¦ is a willing seller and a willing buyer.

1 Like

I wonder too. I was ready for a bidder to request a PPI when I sold my TR on BaT but also dreaded the prospect as I was unsure how it would work.

Itā€™s a 7-day auction and I could see two days of it taken up with me getting the car to a place where a real PPI could be done and then retrieving the car after the fact.

Add to that, the best-known local shop is a place where I wouldnā€™t want them to change a tire for me, much less delve into the mechanicals for a PPI.

If the bidder wanted a friend or other contact to come see the car that would be welcome but I wouldnā€™t want a stranger/amateur doing much more than just looking.

In the end (like so many things we may fret about) it never happened.

2 Likes

Weā€™re strongly considering selling our '64 FHC in spring. What I thought would be good for buyers would be to pre list it somehow and have guys who are flying through Oā€™Hare over a few month period (I think quite a few guys, as many are punished in this way) to arrange flights with a 12 hour delay or so, rent a car and drive the 75 miles to me to see the car. they could mull it over at a somewhat reasonable cost and have plenty of time to decide. Granted, a cray idea, but would give a personal look at less cost than flying all over on an expensive wild goose chase.
Some way can sometimes be found to see cars if the time frame is long enough. This might work on stuff that didnā€™t sell and is still on the market.

2 Likes