Hand brake stuck on - engine cant move it

My S1.5 e-type OTS has been parked for a month with the handbrake securely engaged. During the month we have had the wettest month on record for here. Now discovered handbrake well and truly locked on. What do I try??

Ross, Brisbane

Based upon what I know of Jaguar and other handbrake systems

Get underneath and ascertain where the issue is

If the pads are sticking to the discs, I would use hot soapy water through a spray bottle,
and gentle use of a small prybar or similar to persuade them to let go

Its slightly possible its some part of the mechanism or cable, in which case I would use penetrant, but not contaminate pads with it

Lets hope you have good fortune, as they can be partly taken apart in situ, but its very difficult

A good visual inspection is a must

Hi Ross…as per the advice above…does the handbrake lever actually release?..however if your lucky you may have an access plate above the irs so you can have a look…you will need to remove some interior trim…go gently if its handbrake pads as they can pull off their backing plate…then to replace the pads the irs has to come out…also jack up the rear and try turning each wheel…it could be the main pads seized to the discs…Steve

As Ross expressed its been a very wet month consequently the wire might be seized within the cable. I would cut the cable wire at the end of the linkage by the diff housing releasing the pressure from the pads to the disc. I’m sure this will solve the challenge with he hand brake. You may want to order a new cable ASAP

First thing to do is crawl under the car and slacken the outer cable at the compensator. This will relieve the moment on the pads which should then free up by moving the car. Once freed up, working the handbrake lever with the slackened cable should brake any binding from rust. It’s doubtful in my mind that the rust binding is permanent.

1 Like

It’s also possible that the larger “service” brake pads are the culprit. Time to rev it up in first or reverse and pop the clutch.

This brings up one of those lessons my father taught me: Don’t store a car with the handbrake on. Bad things are likely to happen.

3 Likes

Yeppers!

I never use the parking brake if it’s going to dit for more than a day: we get the freezing-on issue here, too.

My Saab 96, and any front wheel drive car, had that problem in the winter. I would have to drag the frozen rear end around until i could hit dry pavement to brake it free. The local pilot would never use his brakes before take-off so they wouldn’t be frozen on the landing.

1 Like

If it’s the hand brake pads, dropping the clutch will in all likelihood rip the pads off… don’t ask me how I know.:pleading_face:

I’d be very surprised that pads seize up in one month to any serious degree. Something has failed to release in the mechanical system probably the cable. Don’t cut it ,back off the adjustment and see what the cable does then it’s either the hand brake or the park brake lever . The pads are strong :muscle: in shear not so much in tension careful prying you’ll wreck the pads and if they are wet with brake fluid they swell and jam
Cheers

some slight modification to my previous advice;

dont ever pry on the pad itself, only the mechanism, as they can easily become detached

further, I dont think I have actually experienced a vehicle that could be trapped by the handbrake pads alone

Even on newer vehicles with good, properly adjusted and working handbrakes, it was still possible to (inadvertantly) move off with them on

The OP has not reported back as yet, but an under vehicle examination is needed

If the main rear brake calipers have not been overhauled for a long time, it is definitely possible for a piston to not retract

If the engine can’t move it I doubt it will be the handbrake . Also they are relatively imune to humidity / rust binding. It suspect the pistons in the main calipers may be seized, they probably were not sliding loose any longer and the humidity, and possibly a bit of brake fluid leak through the old seals, produced that end result .

On a series 3 the best way to solve the issue is to have the IRS coming off and rebuild the calipers - or install new ones, sng sells them , Danish manufacturer, I don’t recall the brand but I installed them last year together with new disks and I am very happy with the quality .

Good luck
Rui

1 Like