Hard starting issue and fuel pump prime issue

[quote=“William83xj, post:20, topic:430746, full:true”]
Ok small update, I have installed a one-way valve and it doesn’t appear to make all the much difference.
[unquote]

It would only make a difference to the leak-down, William - what is the leak-down time now? Adjusting the AFM bypass may contribute…

[quote]
If i crank it and don’t let go it will start but only after 6 or more seconds of cranking. but if I crank for 1 or 2 seconds then release and try again it will fire the first turn of the starter. Very strange behavior…
[unquote]

Strange indeed…

Treated as ‘hot start’ issue; does it happen after the engine has been standing for a while - or does it happen (also) if the hot engine is shut down and immediately restarted?

For the record; you are not(!) touching the gas pedal at any time while cranking?

What is the cold idle - and what is the hot idle when restarting?

Pending answers; one possibility is that the immediate start after the ‘preliminary’ crank primes the engine - the initial key ‘on’ triggers the injectors once, and while cranking, fuel is injected. Ie, cranking is lean - which may indicate that the ECU is not receiving ‘in crank’ information…

Which may indicate that the white/yellow circuit is not powered from the starter relay. As a preliminary check; with the engine cold,
disconnect the CSI plug and connect a test lamp over the plug. In ‘crank’ the lamp should light up for a time - confirming power to the CSI but not necessarily to the ECU…

If there is no light, verify that engine temp is below some 20C (68F). The test is not entirely conclusive - but warrants further checks…

As the problems seems confined to starting and the engine otherwise performs normally(?) the general trend of your symptoms, pending answers to the questions raised, implies a fueling issue only cranking.

I like your ‘obsession’ - sometimes ‘living with a problem’ is not a good option…:slight_smile:

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)

Apologies for the late reply, I have been busy I’ll get to test some more stuff soon.