Harrison Air Con Compressor parts

I just had a guy check my air compressor and its leaking at the rear. Apparently there are two O rings that can deteriorate. Has anyone managed to find these parts and fit them without going to the expense of a whole new Compressor. He told me the Harrison Delphi unit is very sturdy and reliable. Would appreciate any experience. thanks Andrew

You can get a whole o-ring kit anywhere (Amazon for example). There’s a big one that surrounds the rear plate but the ones that usually fail are behind the connection block, one behind each line. They’re in the kit but also available separately, or at least they used to be. The thinner blocks, fitted to some Jaguars, can bend BTW, and leak even with new o-rings. GM cars used thicker blocks that seal better.

Thanks Robert. Thats great. I will have a look on E Bay, I am in the UK but I am sure I should be able to find it. Does the Compressor have a simple model designation do you know? Andrew

What year is your XJ-S and what engine does it have in it? Jaguar made the XJ-S/XJS from 1975 to 1996 with lots of changes to the parts along the way.

Paul

It’s called the A6 compressor (six axial cylinders). The manufacturer goes by several names: GM, Harrison, Frigidaire. I had a look on ebay UK and found several o-ring kits, but only one that was sourced in the UK. You can also look under Jaguar XJ6 (late) or Jaguar XJS. Looks like they’re about 7 quid (not cheap!).

hi Pau, yes sorry in my haste to post I forgot to say what it is. Well its a 1976, 572 nd ever manufactured , so more than likely the first compressor that was ever specified at a guess.

Thanks Robert, thats really helpful. I will get on with the search for the kit now. Interesting that they can bend on the blocks this looks at about 5/16 inch thick? Andrew

Andrew,
I happen to have a copy of the XJ-S Parts Catalogue from 1975 and I believe that the Jaguar part number for that o-ring is C35864.

If you go to Jaguarclassicparts.com and input C35864 you will see that they can be obtained for about 1.37 GBP through Jaguar. If you search online for “Jaguar C35864” you will likely find additional sources.

I have found that having a comprehensive technical library of Parts Catalogues, as well as Service Manuals and Electrical Guides has removed a lot of the mystery out of working on my six Jaguars and saved me a lot of time searching for the correct part or the best price.

Paul

Thank you Paul. I must have been on another planet when I posted! I too have the parts catalogue, this time from June 1980 but didnt think to look in there as I was not expecting it to be a service item! I am not new to this game, just getting old I fear!. Thanks for the help and guidance chaps, just ordered two O rings so I hope they will arrive next week.

Andrew, there is a good description in Kirby Palm’s “Book” of the way that the two hoses are attached to the compressor. There is a piece of flat bar with a central bolt, and when that bolt has been overtightened the thin bar deforms and then the two “O” rings can start to leak.The cure (in the book) is to make a heavier retaining bar, and use a slightly longer bolt. You might want to read up on that… Worked for me!

thanks Dave. I will check the book out. I have seen this book referenced a few times but dont have it as yet. good intel , thanks

The rear seals can be a problem. See the following website detailing issues I had fixing leaks at the rear seals.

http://bernardembden.com/xjs/comseal/index.htm

I have an o-ring drawer that’s about 3 cu. ft. with so many sizes it boggles my mind.
Sizes from smaller than this ‘o’ to 36" circumference, rubber, silicon and PTFE.
My point is not to gloat but to say I was warned against DIY for AC compressors.
The level of ‘clean room’ conditions is more stringent than a surgical suite.
Expert mechanics have told me only one spec of dust will scotch the whole job.
Changing a connector seal is OK, but tearing down compressors needs a ‘clean room’.

Yeah, I don’t believe that. Loose chunks would be bad, but I seriously doubt if most of the rebuild shops have that level of cleanliness going on.

Ha, that makes two of us.
For a while there was a factory next door refurbishing compressors.
I think a lot of the work was just putting the clutch in a lathe and refacing it.
There would be zillions of specs of dust flying around in that outfit.

thanks Bernard for the link and your detailed process for eliminating leaks. I have ordered some O rings so next week I should be able to get this back together.