Harvey Bailey Rear Anti Roll (sway bar)

I too fitted GAZ rear shocks and set them at mid position based on number of clicks. The car was definitely bouncy and I altered the knob setting somewhat until the car quieted down but I don’t remember which way I turned it.

Does anyone know the diameter of the HB anti roll bar - judging from the photo above and the clamps it looks to be the same dia as the torsion links. It wouldn’t be too hard to duplicate but the stress in the bar would need to be checked so that a suitable steel could be used.

those are some fat tires on that real axle! i will say shocks probably will also make a big difference, i have original style shocks that are almost 10 years old now. will be replacing them sometime and assume at that point the combination of things will really make a big difference

Likewise vis-a-vis the shocks.

The comment in the video about vibration loosening the fittings was a thought I’d had when I saw the installation, but in the video, I didn’t like the solution proposed. Given the relatively low cost of torque arms, why not just weld it? Or at just some threadlock. I didn’t think the comment about the fittings being closer together had merit – farther apart gives mechanical advantage, and would probably help combat vibration and avoid concentrating the forces on one end of the torque arm. Just sayin’.

1 Like

Even though I knew the answer I just checked mine. Driven almost every week for 3 years … all the bolts are still tight and the bar hasn’t moved.

Just got this off e-bay for £100 :blush:s-l1600%5B1%5D

1 Like

Good find, and good old Ken - a welcome resource of rare parts and advice.

Nice, let me know if you decide not to use. JS

I will be bolting it on Jeff , after a coat of paint and I find some new locknuts :nut_and_bolt:

Let us know how it works for you…I’ve always wanted one otf those on my '57 Mk1

I will take a few pictures of it fitted , and report back if I notice much diffrence .
I do have GAZ shocks on the back and 215 tyres , so will not be like fitting it to a standard car !

Rear Anti roll bar come today , all striped down and in paint , e-mailed HBE , they sent me fitting instructions and nut thread size !

All ready do bolt on now !

1 Like

Bending up anti roll bars is a doddle, using nothing more than a large torch, a simple bending jig, and using Stressproof bar stock.

Did it a lot, on many cars.

1 Like

Bending up anti roll bars is a doddle – Really?

using nothing more than a large torch – X

a simple bending jig – X

using Stressproof 4 bar stock - X.

Nope, not got any of those nor the skill / facilities to make up the fixing bracketry. Ian’s ebay buy plus a couple of free nuts supplied by HBE is a good deal. I will await Ian’s report as to the results and if positive I will then likely have to buy new, with 6 week order time, now that Ian has probably picked up the only used one available in the UK.

Same here Tigger , bar I could probably do , but the brackets , have no tooling to make them , nut’s where not free , they just told me the size , but they sent the stickers , and fitting instructions , I think it was a good buy at the price , never seen one for sale before !

T’wasnt casting aspersions upon your choice to buy: AllI’m asserting is the actual making of the bar itself isn’t terribly rocket sciencey.

1 Like

Managed to fit the bar today , the Allen headed bolts on 2 brakets lined up nice behind the dampers , but a ball ended key held them , as I did the nuts up ! 20191018_150106

Keep us informed as to the perceptible changes in handling.

Will do but may be a long time , it’s wet wet wet over here in the UK , and I don’t mean the Groupe :grin:

1 Like

Rear roll bar was not as good as I thought it would be :grin:d3e28b2a177cde9c57613fc0fbdd4eb3%5B1%5D

1 Like