Has any one gotten a windshield that fits

No I’ve only tried the Eastwood kit. I think you’d need to use a pretty large pad and be very careful to take very deliberate and even passes over the surface to avoid distortions since you’d be going so deep. The kit I tried had a very small head and it made me kind of nervous.

Let us know how it goes. I’ve saved my original screen and would love to be able to use it as a backup in case my new one gets damaged.

That job is probably a year or two in the future but I will take some pictures of the procedure and the results, good or bad, and post them. It is normally a 4 or 5 inch pad on a very slightly flexible backer that I have used on countertops so I expect decent results on flat glass. The curved windshield will likely be more problematic and require a more flexible backer. Nothing to lose except for a bit of time.

where are you getting the supplies. and what rpm range

shot a email to the Pilkington glass co in the UK and just received a call from a Pilkington factory here in the states, they have windshields in stock for the FHC hundreds cheaper and delivered for 50 bucks to a Pilkington distributor 20 miles from me. the windshield bugs on the 3 bad ones are located in the wrong spot , so they are knock offs the bug should be in the center at the bottom

Diamond pads can be bought online at Amazon or Ebay or local concrete tool supply outlets. They commonly come in 4 or 5 inch diameter. You do need to buy the proper polisher kit which is set up to supply a constant stream of water through the hub and has the proper backing pads. I cannot remember the rpm I used as it was a few years ago. I don’t remember that it was critical for stone but glass may be different. I just checked out youtube videos to research the technique. There are videos on glass polishing as well as stone polishing. Just remember that you need to check out a number of sites as there are always a few yahoos that post lousy advise. It is an outside job and wear a rubber apron. To be clear I have not tried glass yet and I am by no means any kind of expert on stone polishing. I intend to do a few practice attempts on scrap door glass before attempting it on the e type ones. Good luck and please report on your results.

¿Verdad? I have had 2 replacements and both had the TripleX logo in the lower left (LHD Drivers side).

just talked with the factory and he says their are a lot of fake knock offs out their, plus the factory was a couple of hundred cheaper

“Fake knock offs?”

Wouldnt that make them…real windscreens?

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Nope. I think a fake knockoff is one patterned after a chinese one.:exploding_head:

1 Like

just to get things straight . factory called me back and they are now placing the triplex bug center and above the rear view mirror, so the windshields that did not fit may not be fake Chinese knock off imposters but they still do not fit ,

I think they’ll place it in either location on request. The one I ordered directly from Pilkinton US had it in the lower driver’s corner as does the one CJ installed from me.

I just bought a Pilkington windshield for my 64 e-type OTS and it appears to be about 1/4" short. If I fully seat it in the seal, the chrome strip at the top doesn’t reach the pillar caps. There is a 1/4" gap. Any idea what the height (measured in the middle) is on an original windshield?

Thanks,
Al

Yikes! As an aside, I keep reading about so many aftermarket parts from body panels to suspension parts having manufacturing defects. Now windshields!

I’m fortunate I restored my car back when many NOS parts were still available.

1 Like

I remember for years there was an ad in Hemmings for OEM E-Type windshields, $100 ea. I left that too late myself regrettably and missed it.

I just came across your post about Pilkington. Did you actually reach someone at Pilkington that would speak with you?

Thanks,
Al

Yes I did Several times. That was awhile ago .
That last two were shipped to a pilkington location a couple of miles from me. Finally received one that fit. Ya!!! Luckily I keep the original and kept reinstalling that one.
Got really good at putting windshields in.

Yes I did just called em and talked to them for quit a while . They really didn’t have an answer though why the windshields didn’t fit.
When I heard they had moved production to a new country think it was Norway not sure on that. I ordered one and it fit perfectly. The shape was better . Interesting the above post about the $100 dollar windshields I ordered one and it was delaminated in one corner . Great price though

Hello David,
I saw your post and have emailed Nick Gardiner several times but have never received a reply. They don’t bounce back, so I assume he got them. Can you tell me where the factory is and any other contact information you may have.

Thanks,
Al Jacobson

Here is info Richard.Wendland@nsg.com

Pilkington Classics-Phoenix

7375 W Buckeye Rd Bldg. 2 Ste 120

Phoenix, AZ 85043

Ph. 800-848-1351

Fax 623-474-4160

The windscreens for E-Types are now being manufactured at Pilkington’s plant in Finland. I got in touch with them last week.