Has anyone ever lumped a 1963 MK10?

No, the one I’m referring to was a blog formatted like a journal no video plenty of photo and well written explanations. The blog was of same quality as Ed Sowell or Bernie Emden’s as far as documentation.
I may have the site URL saved, problem is I’ve went thru 3-4 computer since it was found. The site may not even exist anymore. I goggled MK10 v12 swap after I posted perused about 25-30 pages nothing resembling.
I think I followed a link embedded in a another site. Seems like I remember going to a site such as Jagring.net or something similar which was just a gigantic list of jag related sites.

That is the “Rust to Rome” channel. He is quite an interesting person and he has trips around the world each you which you can join along with. I recommend following his multi series videos in fast motion.

Gerard

If you do, it is necessary to install a complete XJ front end, which requires engineering and fabrication knowledge.

You must not attempt to install an XJ rack into a MKX/420G otherwise, even though it will fit, your steering will be much worse

One way to solve a few problems is to find a rusted-out 4.2 model, buy it whole, and upgrade your 3.8 trans and and steering box to the 4.2 items

btw, If you are removing a head, is not the 3.8 a short stud motor?..I would try double nut the head studs out

Its also an immense exercise putting a V12 in there…people think these huge cars would be easy for an engine transplant, but they aint

To the best of my knowledge, a T7004 will fit in a LHD MKX (not RHD)

for youse all info & entertainment…shows the excellence of this forum

V12 into MKX

http://www.jag-lovers.org/saloons/rhughes/

1 Like

This is how I pulled the head on my 3.8. Paul.

and for the OP, with the 4.2 long studs, where you dont want to be pulling the studs, I use a couple of slim bottle jacks between the head ledge, and engine ledges to get it started, then work it up with lengths of timber, working the head up & down on lubed studs with a deadblow mallet.

Would only try that on a short stud if I couldnt get them out

Gerard,
I know this is a Lumps forum, but here is my now-evolved thinking.

Having owned 5 lumps throughout the decades (and presently working on one), I would like to throw this out – it’s a complete reversal of my prior thinking, and I KNOW you have heard this all before…
Keep your car as original as possible, and if it is reliability that you seek, then get more modern…but as close to original as possible.
FOR EXAMPLE: a more modern Jag 6 cyl with maybe a 700R trans – get it all from a salvage yard, probably on the order of under $1000 USD (at Pull-A-Part here in KY, any 8cyl engine WITH accessories, is $192; any auto trans with torque converter $85.64; YOU PULL THE ENG AND TRANS; drive shaft modification; sundry welding and mount fabrication, and "other stuff). (I would suggest the Jag V12, but as it was pointed out, it would be a monster project – although a V12 at PullAPart would be $192, just like any other engine.)

While the GM engines with accessories that we put into 4 of our cars all greatly improved the driveability and reliability of the cars, within very few years, you just have an wrong and out-of-date engine (every year, there are engine improvements that make today’s latest engine “inadequate” and old, but not old enough to be vintage). The cars turn into beaters.

Wrong and out-of-date vs correct and expected-because-it’s-vintage.

We had 2 XJS’ converted to the GM 5.7 TPI, and it took Rick Smith (of Suncoast Jags in St. Pete, FL) less than 3 days to convert – problem-free. He had it down to a prodution line because he had done so many of them.

1 Like

sure son and I installed a rack in his 40 Ford. + a Corvair. Rack fine but a misam

Carlatch to the suspension. Ackerman off. Failure…

Do you have a web link for Suncoast. I want to look at their work and maybe ask questions.

Gerard

No, but I recall that it is Jim Johnson’s business. Punta Gorda, Fla.

G - We left FL in 2001, but I just checked records, and it was indeed Sun Coast Jaguars, owned by Rick Smith, Clearwater, FL (not St Pete). He was also the mechanic.

THERE WAS ALSO ANOTHER SUNCOAST JAGS in FL – and I recall Rick Smith having some kind of naming problem with them. They both did these lump conversions.

The last I spoke with Rick was about 3 years ago about a conversion for an XK140-- but I’m in KY, so FL out of the question.
The last phone number I had was 727-585-5247 (wife’s name Sally)

JagMan - the 67 420G I described above had a full front suspension from an XJS, including the rack and pinion. HOWEVER, the turning circle was noticeably very limited, even with the custom work and high dollar sunk into it.
There’s a problem with R&P on our cars.
You’d think that it would be solvable.

I thought fitting a complete XJ IFS was the solution, as doing it this way should allow the Ackerman angles to be the same (as they are on an XJ)

I believe a very clever person did do this…he went down the non-XJ route first, and found out the hard way…then fabbed in an XJ unit and said it worked very well…this guy has forgotten more than I ever will know, but was not very communicative on how he had attached the XJ IFS…this would be critical

(he also added an XJS rear end, and had an XJR motor in place, but I havent heard from him since…he was in the USA somewhere, not on this list that i have heard from anyway, had an early MKX

You can bolt in an XJ rack, and steering arms, (and calipers)…looks great!..however the plane of the junction between the steering arms is altered…ever so slightly but enough to noticeably worsen the steering

There is a not a lot wrong with the Adwest Marles variamatic system, used in 4.2 MKX, 420G, and other Jags, the exact same design persisted in Landrovers up until quite recently

baloo…

Could you share the cost to do a conversion with Suncoast (since you mentioned you had 2 done)?

I’m also trying find someone to complete a conversion on a 78 Silver Shadow Rolls Royce. My guy can absolutely do it, but it’s been with him 3 years with little progress!

Richard

We had 2 XJS’ converted to the GM 5.7 TPI, and it took Rick Smith (of Suncoast Jags in St. Pete, FL) less than 3 days to convert – problem-free. He had it down to a prodution line because he had done so many of them.

Did I answer this??
The cost was $5k total, to include the 5.7L TPI GM engine. Now, these were done back in 1992 and 1995 or so.
Rick Smith…very loud and boisterous fellow, but def knew conversions. Even did a 5.7 with a GM 5spd manual for himself (all ours were 700r4 auto trans).

Thanks for the update. Its good to know that these conversions can at least be accomplished. I’m sure the cost has gone up significantly since 1995. I was Google ing the web and could not even find any place in Florida with those name still in business. Might try it locally…