Has anyone seen these?

Here’s what I received today from SNG Barratt.
Pictures attached…

It was me :slight_smile:
I still have a number of them left.

The ones I have are pretty identical, here is a comaprison to original clip I had on my car.

Tadel

that is it I believe you wind the pin to tighten it

Terry,

First you fit it round, maybe 2 times, then through the slot and then you wind it.
I should have a good photo of it handy somewhere.

Tadek

You can get maybe a quarter turn if you want it to not leak anti-freeze.
For a handbrake lever sleeve, just fold it over.

Depending on which country and which idiom, the pins shown here can and are referred to as split pins, a cotter pin being what Rob’s SS has in the brake rod yokes…in effect a bolt with a hole instead of a thread. there being held from working loose by split pins.
Handy to remember if ordering from a country where those descriptions are used. My factory parts book refers to them as “pins, split”

They’re fairly common on British cars from the '50s. We have a universal CV boot strapping kit which uses soft steel Zinc plated strapping of both sizes, so it’s easy for me to replace the strap. I can’t remember the name of the stuff now, I’ll have a look next time I’m in the shop.

1 Like

I guess this British company in Northampton couldn’t make up their mind what to call them.

The parking brake cable end yoke is also called a clevis and the main pin a clevis pin, which is held by a split/cotter pin. :smile:

Vintage Ferraris use the same type of clamp but they call them “Copiglia” clamps. I found a source when I was replacing clamps on my 330 GTC.

https://www.restorationstuff.com/ecommerce/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=78_179

Has anyone a very original photo they could post showing the complete design/ finish of the gearlever and handbrake trim.

Terry. We seem to be performing the same task at the moment trimming our 120 FHC’s.
I’ll send you an email.
Cheers, Graham

The English term for these, used for years, is indeed ‘split cotter pin’, which is abbreviated to ‘split pin’ in common usage. I’ve never come across split pins being called cotter pins in the UK personally - I’ve always understood a cotter pin to be a thicker, more solid pin, usually with a chamfer, like the ones secured by a nut used to fit pedal shafts on bicycle cranks tightly.

Looks like another case of two nations separated by a common language!
Roger

And then there are local dialects, often unintelligible to non-speakers, wherein hex nuts are referred to as “taps”

Red images are from an original car a Jon Pollock’s shop several years ago.
The others are reproductions in one of my XKs.
Mike

More fun; from the XK120 Service Manual, page H7 Items 26 and 41 are called cotter pins. However on page H11 we are back to calling them split pins. Then on page H20 it is back to cotter pins. And on page HI25 back to split pin.

I came across the thicker chamfered solid pin variety last week on a Luvax shock absorber from my '38 SS.

In the Luvax manual it is indeed called a cotter pin.

The tapered pin with the washer and nut in the above photo is also found on English bikes and it is used to hold the pedal arm to the shaft. Is the shaft called a crank shaft on a bike??

1 Like

As this section concerns the Salisbury Axle (made in the US I think?), this may be the technical writers of the manual combining information from US and UK sources with resulting mixing of terminology…

I’ve always heard that referred to as a tapered pin, never a cotter.

Google taper cotter pin and thats one of the images that comes up and yes John Q it is a crank shaft on a push bike.

Bicyclists have called these cotters for a long long time. I think they went out of favor in the 1960s.

In my youth in Cambridgeshire (from where I type this), a bicycle bottom bracket held a crank (not a crankshaft), with the pedal arms held on by cotter pins which looked exactly like Rob’s SS items. But that’s just old English.
Roger