Have you ever experienced such a thing with the XJS?

Recently I have driven my XJS 4.0 of the registration year 1996 in Japan on the highway in the mountains in Japan. While driving at that time, the engine sound of the car disappeared suddenly and ,after one minuite, the engine sound appeared again without my special operation. I experienced this phenomenon about 10 times on this day. Has anyone experienced the same phenomenon with the XJS? By the way, while driving on the general road in my city, with the engine still very hot, soon after I had gone out of the highway, my XJS stalled about 4 times while idling at the red signal at each intersection. (At each time, the engine could start fortunately at once after stalling.)

When was the last time that you checked or did anything to the ignition system? I would venture to guess that you take a look at the ground straps. Your car is right hand drive and the ground straps I would guess are opposite to mine, but check under the car right in front of the steering rack

Check the grounds. I’ve had this happen on two of my cars. Most likely corroded or loose.

Hello Jaguarer - just wanted to mention a basic electric comment - electricity travels on the outside of the conductor (not inside the conductor the way water does inside of a hose) - any surface restriction will affect the value of the electric - heavy deposits of dried oil, for example, or corrosion on the wire, or on any metal terminal ends or connecting bolts, washers, or nuts - or corrosion on the metal panels - loose connections will also affect the value of the electric - notice the nice clean ground strap in the picture attached by A J Simpson, and as Stephen mentioned the value of the grounding path effected his vehicles - a lot of the above problems would be equal to having a water hose that had small holes in it and a faulty control valve, therefore affecting the end result of use - the fact that you have experienced your problem during times with a warm engine, but yet having success with immediate restart, I do not think you are having a component failure due to heat - engine vibration will affect a loose connection causing loss of electric - would you explain more on how the engine restarted itself, when driving on the road - thanks, Tex.

1 Like

:open_mouth: wow, I never knew that, it certainly explains a lot of past mishaps.

Thank you very much for the helpful advice.

Thank you very much for the advice.

Thank you very much for the helpful advice.

1 Like