Have you ever seen an E-type tow a caravan?

2+2 (LWB) would have a wide chrome piece at the base of the door windows. And the roof line is not high.

towed TO ATLANTA for the runoffs in the mid 70’s. Have no idea how he managed it.

Behind a well prepped Jag? Easy peasy!

My friend Chris used to tow his speed boat with his in the 70’s.

Apparently it was tricky launching and retrieving at the boat ramp.

“It can be done: with the truck engine a Jag has, it could haul quite abit”

Yes-but… being geared for racing instead of pulling I bet you could count the number of times driving from a dead stop before the clutch went south.
LLoyd

In our time, political speech and writing are largely the defense of the indefensible.

George Orwell

The rear of a XJ saloon is in many ways similar to a Series 3. In the XJ the tow bar is a T shaped affair that spreads the load across the floor - basically the floor is sandwiched between the outer T and the inner T. Works OK.

My Series 3 has holes in the floor that are a close match to the holes of a XJ tow bar - though are different. I believe my Series 3 did at one stage have a XJ style tow bar fitted - additional evidence is an extra indicator lamp on the right of the dash(RHD) that flashes once when the indicators are used. With a trailer fitted and wiring in place this lamp would flash in unison with the trailer indicators.

Garry

With a 3.07, like Tweety had, yep: with a 3.54? Not as much…:grimacing:

The suffix ‘C’ of the British registration number denotes a 1965 car. Not towing a caravan but here are some images of 1963 861107 with a neat looking hitch being used to pull the owners MG in the 1960’s.
Interesting history under Coys 2016 auction description http://www.xkedata.com/cars/detail/?car=861107

To your point, from the xkedata.com description…

Unfortunately (or perhaps not) Frank burnt out the clutch and instead of getting it fixed he put the car into storage in a lock up until the 1980s (he bought a Series 1 Land Rover to tow the MG), he then moved it to his garden where is remained under a tarpaulin until the present vendor rescued it in 2015 (photo on file showing this location)

Blockquote

I bet that set-up weighs a fair amount more than the caravan in the original pic!

Or a flat six. Corvair. I almost bought a VW van of stock dimensions with the six neatly installed. Owner jabbering with a non buyer, I would have made an offer… lost patience and departed. He did have DMV issues???

Buy the problems of another?? Saved, I now know!!!

Carl

ready for the XK RV road trip. Nick

Attaching a hitch to the rubber mounted IRS cage would be a bad idea.

1 Like

Why, it moves the whole car…?
It would push the whole drive train forward while braking and if also mounted to the chassis it will bind badly.

…rear steer…

Don’t know why anyone wound use a jaguar to tow anything! Bunch of crazies :rofl:

2 Likes

I found this at a local (Dorset, SW England) show about 12 years ago. I’ve muted the sound as all I recorded is the advice about wearing seatbelts whilst driving around the show ground.

The MKX and 420G have a towbar that fits behind the bumper mounts and flat mounts thru the boot floor, very sturdy, and I have no doubt it would tow a caravan easily, but the car weighs around 1800kg and has a 3.54 diff

1 Like