Hazard Warning Circuit

Am I looking at this correctly?

Power is good on the NO wire coming from fuse #4. With the hazard switch “on” I have normal cycling of the rear flashers and front flashers but the Hazard Pilot Lamp does not light nor am I reading voltage there. I have tried several bulbs in the hazard pilot lamp and the ground past the lamp is good.

So, is the “Hazard Flasher Unit” defective? If so, it’s a good thing I got in on the $9.95 (shipping included) ebay special! Should be here tomorrow.

Or, could there be something else happening downstream?

Thanks!

I would wait for the new part and then see what happens.

Craig, I had problems with the circuit on my 68 as well. Turned out to be the switch. Maybe run a continuity check on it. They’re just not made very well.
Jim

Craig,
If the lamps are all working that pretty much verifies that the flasher unit itself is OK, its just a switch tho without seeing inside can’t be positive. Have you tried measuring for voltage at pin 2 of the hazard switch?
pauls

Paul,

I’m not sure that I agree. A common fault with flasher units (main one and hazards) is that the indicator lamps work fine, but the warning lamps don’t. This is because there is a separate set of contacts inside the device for the warning lamp, which can fail independently of the contacts used or the direction indicators I’ve had indicator warning lights fail like this more than once. Replacing the flasher unit solvesd the problem.

-David

David,
If you seen inside the thing that obviates my comment. I’d sure like to know what the thinking was in the design for a second set of contacts. Especially since the second set seems to be the troublemaker and the load is light.

Craig, given David’s information Easy enough to check for 12v at the “P” pin of the flasher unit. If you don’t have it there then the unit is faulty.
pauls

If Craig has the switch wired correctly and it seems to be given that he
has all exterior lamps working, the path to supply voltage to the warning
lamp is only via the innerds of the unit. If the lamp isn’t working my
money is on the unit being defective.

Craig, The light is not coming on because it is not getting 12V from the P connection or a faulty LGP green wire . So disconnect at P and apply 12V to the line.If it lights then you have a faulty flasher unit, if not then LGP is broken

I “thought” I was reading that part of the circuit correctly but wanted to check with the experts. I will confirm as described above and plan on putting in the NOS hazard flasher unit.

Next up: The Flasher Switch…for another day.

Thanks all!

Hi Craig,
Did you get a chance to try out the new flasher unit?

Well… just for the “fun of it” and because it’s so simple on this new platform I have been preparing a status report. Since I had a replacement on the way, the first order of business was to dissect the old hazard flasher unit:

It’s hard to tell but the third image shows a vertical “bar” that I think moves with the metallic strip and makes contact with the button looking thing at the bottom. That action sends power out through terminal “P” to the hazard pilot lamp in the dash. This is the function that was not working in my car. Here it is in operation!

At the very end of the clip you might be able to see the failure of the contact to make on the button looking thing. Good news is the N.O.S hazard flasher unit came in the mail today and all function has been restored! Now I have to resolve the turn signals.

1 Like

Great video - I had never seen one in action. Just curious - do you have any LEDs among the lamps that flash?

Yes. The rear lamps are LED and the front are incandescent. They now function normally via the hazard flasher unit and the hazard switch but I’m wondering if being mixed might be causing a problem through the hazard switch/flasher unit/flasher switch complex. I apologize for the terminology but I’m trying to stay consistent with the schematic above.

Today’s challenge.

I asked because my TR also has a mix of LED & incandescent and although the turn signals work well, the dash indicator does not blink. I am wondering if the change in load for the signals (I did add resistors to increase the load for the LEDs) is somehow inhibiting the action of that separate mechanism for the dash indicator.

Geo,

It just occurred to me that this final comment on my other post might be applicable to your dash indicators not working. In the end, I had one working and the other not. I pulled it out of the bayonet socket, turned it around and put it back in. Now it works!

“5) The right hand flasher W/L (the green one on the dash) didn’t work when indicating a right turn. So I removed the bayonet style LED bulb, flipped it around and viola! I’m 100%”