He gets it, I get it, most listers get it

My first aircraft was the RCAF Argus. I still remember being on the headset out front counting the rotations of the engine as the flight engineer primed it for a certain number of turns before hitting the magnetos allowing it to explode into life. I kinda get that with my E-Type (owned for 44 years). They don’t hum into life like modern cars, they burp-fart then blam!…they’re running (after a bit of coughing).

3 Likes

Yup, Bent Bob, such is the life of carburators.
LLoyd

Fight for the things that you care about. But do it in a way that will lead others to join you.
Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Supreme Court Justice

It is tough to start comparing cars. I have a few and each has a different driving experience.
My E is a driver, body, paint, and interior need work but mechanically I would put it with the best. Now with the 5 speed it a pleasure to drive, cold A/C, ready at any time for a drive in comfort. No squeaks rattles or fuel smells. My more modern F type and XK8 are both good cars, the jury still out on the F type, need to put more miles on it. My Alfa 4C is exhausting to drive. Was out with the Alfa club yesterday for 150-mile drive. Concentration level so high avoiding potholes on curvy mountain roads. No muffler (stock) stiff tires, go cart steering. My friend in a 4C behind me drifted too far to the right and rocks took out two tires and wheels and some hydraulic lines. Getting back into the E feels like a Cadillac.
Glenn

2 Likes

To me,
Negatives- getting tougher getting in and out. Overall noise level. Although I have not been stranded in years, it is an old car.
Positives.- everything else.
We are all different and gauge stuff differently. Maybe I just am not picky. I drive mostly back roads. I have no problem taking it on the highway, but that is not the fun part. That being said, with everything being stock, I have no issues with brakes or steering- both high points. No issue with engine noise or whine as some do. Engine is also a high point. Currently no desire for a 5 speed or non 3.54 rear end. No issues with it being any hotter in the car than out- no A/C so if it is 95 out, it is hot. 85 is okay. Rides nice. Handling, a high point. Car is smooth. I just enjoy finding somewhere to take a 2-3 hour drive on back roads, over the hills, etc… But I do use the older cars as a fun, sunny day cars, not everyday cars.
Tom

1 Like

He finds a way to compare 2001: A Space Odyssey to Recent Star Wars movies as an analog in comparing old sports cars to new ones.

Excellent use of oxygen.

1 Like