Head gasket wrong way up

Like most of the rest of us, once you’re out and enjoying your Jag you’ll forget about the mistakes and faux pas you (and we) made!

Dave

3 Likes

Years ago I changed the head gasket on my Series 2 E-Type , beginning of the winter in November .
Next summer when I drove in the south , in my case to Italy , it was very hot . I became temperature troubles with the engine which I never had in the past . I was inexperienced enough to not understand
the relationship to my head gasket . I started to fight against the temperature . First I bought a new aluminium radiator with more cooling surface . Then a high flow thermostat from Motorad . Next step was a bigger cooling fan . The anavoidable happend - the alternator was too weak . I changed all bulbs against LEDs . You know the solution - a stronger alternator ! 2 years ago with 100.000 mls on the car I
gave the engine away for an overhaul . The mechanic asked me later on , about temperature troubles because the head gasket was installed upside down ! Now I could sell a lot of unnecessary items .To my apology I can say I was not member of JL at this time . Rob , I think You did the right thing !
Greetings Martin

3 Likes

Consider the time and $$ cost tuition. Not sure about Canada, but in the US, tuition for seniors may be deductible. :smile:

Okay, I’m back needing more help.

I got the engine back together ('86XJ6).and it started nicely for 1 second and quit. Checked that I have spark and injector pulse. Even removed cam covers to be sure I got the cam timing right (fearing another bone-head mistake). Fuel pressure seems good. This car was running fine before tear down for timing chain noise.

Checked compression: 60 pounds??? What the heck? Squirt some oil in the cylinders…same compression.

Then I thought maybe I stuffed a rag in the intake elbow that I forgot about. No, not that, but I found about a 1/2 cup of fuel in the intake. Maybe this was making the mixture over-rich, and causing fuel bore-wash? It’s drying out at the moment. To drain this fuel, I went under the car and removed the hose that has been plugged with a screw. I imagine this should have been vented back to the engine somewhere, but I don’t see anything in the manuals I have. Does anyone know ?

Thanks and cheers,
Rob

It’s the drain hose and nothing more. Some fuid there is normal. All good there so far. Disconnect injectors and try to start on starting fluid. If that works investigate a fuel problem.

And don’t worry about the 60 psi unless other cylinders are way different.

Thanks David.

The car starts nicely on starting fluid. So, I’m working through Doug’s cold start checklist today.

Rob

My simple and favorite check is:

Locate a bullet connector in the wiring loom that runs atop the intake manifold/water rail, it connects the ECU to the coil.

Turn on the ignition and tap that bullet connector, injectors should fire every third time. Very sensitive so don’t count, what matters is that they all click, you can test every injector one after another that way.

Catching and dying sounds like the 6 injectors are not firing. Whether the 7th injector works or not is irrelevant as the engine can start and run without it.

Don’t tap it too often so the engine doesn’t drown. A few taps aid in starting sometimes.

Good luck
David