Head light weaker

I replaced my head lights with Lucas brand and notice my drivers side is a lot weaker than my passenger side, it was like this before the swap but I thought it was the unit, but I guess not ?

Check your grounds and multi meter the volts on each side to see if one is lower.

Suspects would be the headlight socket on the left side and the eight way plug on the left side of the bonnet.

Same thing happened to me. I just knew it had to be the ground, it’s always the ground wire, right?
I struggled with it for six months before I finally realized that the high beam wire had a bad connection. What an idiot!
LLo… ummm, Joe

Society has discovered discrimination as the great social weapon by which one may kill men without any bloodshed.
Hannah Arendt

I had the same symptoms.
It was none of the above.
The right hand headlamp has a longer wire run from the battery or the alternator and when a 60w filament draws current through the thin gauge original wires there is a voltage drop. On my car even with the alternator producing 14v the RHS headlamp only saw 10v. And halogen bulbs are particularly sensitive to voltage, far more than tungsten bulbs.

My solution was to replace the 60w bulbs with 25w alternatives. Others have used relays close to the headlamps.

John, check for corroded contacts within the big connector to goes to the bonnet. Both of my headlights were dim until I cleaned these up.

right on thanks

John Bald
Broker/John BaldTeam

not repalcing the bulbs so what relay do you use ?

John Bald
Broker/John BaldTeam

Searching the archives…