Head lights assembly

1966 S-type
Hi everyone.
Having difficulty finding a step by step guide how to install the headlights correctly. Previous owner has messed about with them and modified and chopped them about. So I have nothing to go by to put them back to standard. I’ve bought a whole new assembly to start fresh and would really appreciate some pictures to how it all goes together please.
Thank you in advance

Which model car???

Apologies that info would of been helpful. 1966 S-type
Edited

I have just removed mine and am sorting out reassembly. I’ll do some pictures today and post them up (if I can work out how). I am fortunate in that there is not much that is not as-original on mine, just aged.

Just a hint - check the connector blocks mounted on the inside of the front wings. These are 5-way sockets moulded in rubber, which perishes. I have ordered a pair to replace mine to avoid the risk of a short circuit. The heat in the engine bay shortens their lives, but 50+ years is not bad.

Peter

That would be amazing. And thank you for the tip. I will definitely be taking a look

Here are the pictures of the parts. I am fitting new old stock lamp assemblies which I’ve had in store.

Just a few features to note. There are three rubber seals. One at the rear to seal against the body, one incorporated in the wiring harness to seal the hole in the bowl, and a dust seal behind the headlamp surround. The two clips are spring clips fitted behind the two bottom screws of the bowl and are for holding the bottom of the headlamp surround. The harness is covered by a 10mm thin plastic sleeve to protect the wires under the mudguard.

I hope this helps.

Peter

Hi Peter. I think I can see where my issue is. I was missing the zinc tin housing. I’m guessing that’s the plastic rear housing/mud guard I can just make out a the rear of it. Previous guy just screwed the lamp direct to the plastic mud guard.
This is a great help. Thank you veryuch
Any more pictures of them being install would be awesome but no worries if you’ve already fitted them

Neil

I’ll do some more specific pictures now that I see what you need to know. I took this set before the sun was up high and they are a bit dark. The black housing here is the original manufacturer’s steel type. Plastic alternatives are available and don’t rust.

The zinc plated base is a very critical part. It locates the lamp correctly and incorporates the adjustment system for focusing the beams. Without this, I don’t know how you could retain or adjust the headlamp. Give me a day or two to sort out more pics.

Here are some pictures (8) to show more details like the lamp locating and adjustment system. Also the special clips to hold the bottom of the surround. I hope these are useful and that the file is not too big to send. Let me know if any of the 8 didn’t go through.

1 Like

Hi.
Sorry for the late reply. I’ve only just had time to sit down in front of the car to have a play for a couple of hours.
Thank you for the pictures, they was a great help. I’ve manage to fit both head lights now. The plastic rear part isn’t correct, no where to mount the spring but I’ve managed to make it work by locking it back with a well placed screw and washer.
But couldn’t of done it without the pictures so thanks again

Neil