Head Nut Torque on Lead Sleeve

You will want AT LEAST 100%…but that is still only 7/16" of engaged thread…I would not trust that small a percentage, however. My original dome nuts spec’ed out to about 150%.

I’ve seen that standard in more than one reference. What I don’t understand is why 1 to 1.5 bolt or stud diameters are called for l, when a standard 7/16" (0.4375") nut is approximately 0.365" to .385" thick. That nut is only about 75% of the bolt or stud diameter.

As I mentioned, that spec is for studs…not very practical when it comes to nuts in most cases…BUT…the Jag dome nuts are very deep and DO afford us the rather large thread engagement percentage so why not take advantage of that. Let us remember, the OP had a stripped nut AND a very low thread engagement percentage…I don’t think that is a coincidence.

I’m wondering why there would be a difference The only The threads on studs and bolts are identical with the difference being how the other end is immobilized.

Don’t get me wrong; I’m not trying to argue. I’m looking for the “why” a nut of a thickness less than the bolt or stud diameter is sufficient in one application and not the other.

Could the difference be in the application?
As mentioned the head nuts on the Jag are well proportioned as they have to do a very good job of keeping the head attached to the block.
Other items that are not so torque sensitive can live with the thread in the nuts, Exhaust/inlet manifolds come to mind.

I wondered the same thing about stud engagement vs nuts…don’t know the answer except to say “more is better” and very thick nuts are rather impractical, but should be used when available, as is evidenced by main bearing bolts/studs etc.

I fully agree with that.